turning on my pc takes half an hour

h_khabbazan316 14:57 19 Nov 09

Lately for the last week or so I have noticed that whenever I go to use my pc it takes about half an hour to boot to windows. it usually take about half a minute to load to windows but it keeps on resetting itself. Turning itself off and on at random intervals and its really getting to be annoying now. Does anyone know whats going on? any hints of ideas would be much appreciated.
many thanks

BILLYGEORGE 15:26 19 Nov 09

Try this,to check if your windows files are OK
START
RUN
sfc /scannow
You will need your recovery disk to re-write any damaged files

birdface 15:31 19 Nov 09

May be overheating check that the air vents are clear of dust an fluff.If so inside will also need cleaning out.

ventanas 15:39 19 Nov 09

Try right click on My Computer\Properties\Advanced System Settings(on the left)\Advanced Tab. At the bottom click on Startup and Recovery and take the tick out of Automatically Restart under System Failure.
If it works it may give you time to diagnose the problem by referring to the system log

ventanas 15:47 19 Nov 09

Sorry the logs are in Control Panel\Admin Tools\Event Viewer.

Bothe the above assume Vista, where these are in XP I cannot remember. It's been a while.

h_khabbazan316 23:10 23 Nov 09

can anyone help at all? Last time something like this happend all the guy did was change the thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink but i dont want to try that as the heatsink aseesembly is really fiddely. I think it might be overheating but i don't know what to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5