Turning on laptop wi-fi

iconoclast 20:30 03 Sep 08

I have just acquired a used laptop (running XP). Turning on wif-fi is via a switch to the front of the machine and this is recognised by an on-screen message. However, no icon has appeared in the task bar and there is no indication of the wi-fi as a network connection in the control panel. Something, somewhere needs to be turned on so that the laptop can talk to my wireless router. Any suggestions would be helpful

peter99co 20:38 03 Sep 08

You should see a small tv with a signal symbol on the bottom right with all the other icons. A right click will show a pop-up with options

Taff™ 20:49 03 Sep 08

Start>Connect To> Show All then right click the Wireless connection. Under the General Tab tick the box to show in the taskbar. (I think, because I`m on a Vista machine at the moment)

Taff™ 20:50 03 Sep 08

Ah! Go to Control Panel and then Network Connections then as above.

woodchip 21:40 03 Sep 08

If it as WiFi it will say so in Device Manager. Right click My Computer\Properties\Hardware\Device Manager

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…