Turned on computer and half programs have disappea

londontowner 11:00 03 Dec 08

I have a Maxdata computer running windows xp and this morning I turnr#ed computer and half the program icons were missing from desktop. I tried to open a Word file and a dialog box said insert disk to install. I already had a legit copy of Office installed but it has disappeared. Photoshop and a lot of other programs are missing although others such as iTunes are OK.

Can anyone suggest a cause.. computer virus? I gave avira and Spyware S&D on my computer and reg update every few days.

The most worrying thing is that when I loo at the startup system tray and go to accessibility I only have the options Magnifier,Narrator,Onscreen Keyboard and Utility Manager. There used to be an item called something like Remote Access Manager that I could use to access my computer at work and this has gone too.

I really need this for my work - any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

JanetO 11:31 03 Dec 08

This has happened to me sometimes, but only with one program, so I'll tag along see if there's any reasons.

Graham. 11:31 03 Dec 08

First thing would be to do a System Restore to yesterday, or the latest restore point available.

birdface 11:32 03 Dec 08

Maybe try a system restore in safe mode.

ambra4 12:19 03 Dec 08

Is there a “Strange Folder” on the desktop named “Unused Desktop Shortcuts” open the folder

and see if the missing icons is inside just drag and drop back to the desktop and delete the folder

There is an option in XP to remove unused icon after 60 days to a folder

To stop this option in the further do the following

Right Click on the Desktop – Properties – Click Desktop Tab – Click Customize Desktop at

bottom of display page

At the bottom of the next display page un-tick “Run Desktop Clean up Wizard every 60 days

JanetO 14:17 03 Dec 08

I don't know if it's the same with londontowner, but not only the shortcut icon disappears, the entire program goes too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…