Turn off Windows Update at StartUp in Win2K.

Flopper 17:57 13 Oct 03

When I boot up (on a friends PC)in Win2K I get a dialogue box which I am sure is the Windows automatic update. It is almost as if it is trying to access the net to upgrade but the PC is not connected. I cannot see any obvious places to turn it off. I thought there was an icon in Control Panel or on the TaskBar to stop it ?

Taran 18:32 13 Oct 03

Open up the Control Panel.

Double click on the Automatic Updates Icon.

Uncheck the box "Keep computer up to date", click apply.

This will turn off the automatic update feature.

Remember to manually download the updates though, as and when required.

Are you sure it's the auto-update that is the issue though ?

Seems a little odd.

To have complete control over what is happeneing on the system startup, download and install Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel click here

Flopper 19:08 13 Oct 03

There is no Automatic Update icon in the control panel. Having said that I am not entirely convinced it is the Windows Update. After 'logging on' I get 2 empty dialogue boxes, one says 'Update' at the top, and we I also get a smaller box which repeats itself which says something like 'System Error, Unable To Open Dialogue' which goes after I press OK and the PC boots up properly. Also when I shut it down I get the 'Not Responding' message.
I should point out that I am attempting the kiss of life on a friends PC who has been surfing Kazza without an up to date AntiVirus package and he has been riddled with Trojans (since cleared). We have run Stinger, SpyBot, etc but up to a point we are playing a guessing game.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…