turn on self build for first time?

dfghjkl 22:39 10 Nov 03

i am hoping to assemble my first self build at the week end probably on a kt4 mobo i will be using my one year old hard drive (maxtor 8 30gig ata133)when i turn it on for the first time (from behind the couch in case of shrapnel)i guess i will go into bios but will i set the hard drive bit to auto (like my present pc)?i know i will need to reformat but i want to anyway,xp pro,do i need it to boot up first to install or to allow the pc to install anything,or to see if everything is working?or do i get straight down to the reformat and install first,i would have to put xp disc in and install the os before i can put the mobo drivers in,lastly if it has no vga and i will be fitting mx440 pci card,i presume i will get some graphics through the card to allow me to load drivers,i guess this is a silly question but i want to cover as many angles before i start,i dont want to have to assemble old pc just to ask a question

Rtus 22:58 10 Nov 03
  jonnytub 23:01 10 Nov 03

thank rtus, all you need is right in the link !!!!

Rtus 23:02 10 Nov 03

It should explain all you need to Know .. a suggestion though Do take it step by step dont rush and retain a link with us here just in case you get a small problem ..

DieSse 23:02 10 Nov 03

You will always get basic graphics (as long as everything is actually working ;-))

Yes you need to install XP before you can load any drivers.

Get drivers from the appropriate web sites - they will be more up to date than the motherboard CD ones.

The hard drive in the BIOS is probably set to Auto anyway - but yes, check it at the first boot.

Set the BIOS to boot from the CD first to get your WinXP setup going.

Rtus 23:09 10 Nov 03

if you will be fitting mx440 pci card, you will get some graphics through the card at default settings (std vga 640/480 16 col)enough to enable you to install O/S then that will reset when you load the graphics card drivers(if Xp hasnt done it for you) someone will be here ready to help if needed.. Enjoy the read ..Oh just in case That PDF is also on the archive Cd If you have it

Quiller. 23:13 10 Nov 03

Flipping heck. I know my typing is slow, but there was nowt here when I started my reply.

Lets see if we can sort this and the cpu\ram question together.

The first thing to do before you assemble anything is to read the motherboard manual. Read it two or three times till you are familiar with it. One of the main things to look for is if the fsb is controlled by ajumper on the board or by the bios. A lot of boards have a fsb of 100Mhz as default so they do not fry the cpu's. If it is controlled by a jumper then move it to the 133Mhz position. If it has a manual multiplier then make sure it is on auto. These are dip switches on the mobo.

When you boot to the bios, check that primary master \ slave, secondary master \ slave are set to auto. They should be already done be default.

Next go to advance cmos set up and set the first boot to cdrom. This will enable you to load the X\P operating system.

Then go to miscellaneous control or cpu set up ( the wording may be different). Now set the cpu at 133Mhz and the ram to 166Mhz, if it will let you.

You should now save settings and exit, with a y.

It will now reboot. Slip the X\P disk in and it should run setup. Pick format the drive and load X\P.

The pci graphics card will be fine. It will load to 640 x 480 resolution and X\P will probably install the drivers for it.

This should get you up and running.

dfghjkl 23:23 10 Nov 03

thanks a lot you have put my mind at rest

james55 23:31 10 Nov 03

I did the same thing a few years ago now and regretted not having used a bigger Hard Drive. IE. At least 40 GB. If it works Ok, as I am sure it will, then you become reluctant to change it but as time goes by the space forces you to do so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…