TURN OFF or LEAVE ON?

marinbob100 19:29 17 Sep 03

What is best? Leave everything turned on all the time.
Or turn everything off?

The reason I ask is with our previous system we just had the server and dumb terminals.

The server was a very old unix type, no cooling fan for the cpu, just the one out the back.

We never turned this off ( about seven years )with no problems at all.
It had no power management either.

What best for modern pcs and servers?

How long do the cpu fans last.
They don't look very durable.

Ron

Belatucadrus 19:48 17 Sep 03

Different people will give different answers, some claim that the regular switching on/off of a PC wears the components due to thermal expansion and contraction as it warms and cools, thus shortening the life of the PC. Others like myself will say that I've never had a PC fail for this reason and can't see the point of paying Powergen et al for the privilege of running an idle PC. I've set the power management to what I find suitable, but still turn off at the end of the day. This also cuts out any chance of voltage spike damage in a storm, I do have a surge protector, but still feel safer with the machine off.

CPU fan life depends a lot on conditions, in a clean room they can last for years, carpeted dusty rooms can reduce life span drastically.

marinbob100 19:55 17 Sep 03

What do most business users do?

Ron

-pops- 20:08 17 Sep 03

For many businesses it is the whim of the insurance company. Some insist on ALL electronic equipment (apart from alarm systems) being switched of when the premises are unoccupied. Others don't have that stipulation.

Most medium/large companies though have some sort of server system that requires to be on continually but these companies tend to have somone on the premises all the time.

All in all, there's no right answer.

Personally, I turn my machines off at night but that's mainly because my "office" is next to my bedroom and I don't want to be disturbed.

Brian

Peverelli 00:30 18 Sep 03

I suppose the best compromise is to turn off at the end of your day. We have computers at work that are used 24/7 - 365 days a year and have had very few problems, even though they are now 4 years old. Even then it's recommended to turn them off occasionally to clear RAM and (some) temporary files. Turning on & off every time you want to check your emails can 'possibly' damage the components of the PC. It's a bit like crossing the road: the more often you do it, the more chances of getting run down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…