TuneUp Utilities caused slow start up.

Mike 16:27 28 Apr 10
Answered

On a recommendation I downloaded TuneUp Utilities. It came up with a list of things to make the machine go faster. Most were minor like turning off animation etc. my machine now operates a lot better especially the Internet via IE, so I happy with what it did, except.

My problem is the startup time, first the initial black screen the machine details Bios machine type etc, then I get

Medion PC
AMD Athlon(™) XP 3200+
Memor

This is where it stops for 3min 40sec then completes the "y" and DDR 333 and continues with the windows XP start page, dose that, and waits another 1min 16sec before displaying the Windows Welcome page. So it takes 5min from switch on to get started. (cup of tea time)

Used TuneUp's own turn back facility, no difference
Uninstalled TuneUp, no difference.
Used System Restore back to before install, no difference.

Anybody got some idea of what might be going on?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 28 Apr 10

Sounds like you may have a bad memory stick.

However try turning off memory count in BIOS

Mike 17:27 28 Apr 10

Now thats interesting a was given a memory stick 250GB and it was fake and now I get a warning that - USB Mass Storage device defective. Cannot start Code 10. I have not been able to correct this, but since I don't use it I haven't bothered about it. Should I switch it off.

I will check the BIOS

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:40 28 Apr 10

Remove the memory stick
Uninstall it in device manager

Mike 18:02 28 Apr 10

Switching off the USB mass storage speeded up the windows welcome page to 14sec, so saved a min there.

Cannot find the switch for the memory check, Phoenix BIOS Ver 1.05, however when it gets to the mem check it takes only a few seconds. It stops before that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\, did you mean the onboard memory stick I have 2 at 256

Mike 19:50 28 Apr 10

Checked the BIOS and memory check is already off.

Had a look at previous postings, I should have done that first, looks like memory sticks most likly problem. Don't have others to change with.

I have had this machine for seven years so considering replacing it anyway. Just the Motherboard and HD.

Mike 13:30 25 Apr 11
Answer

I had become used to switching on walking away and making a cup of coffee and just waiting for things to work.

Last Friday 22nd April 2011 switched on and waited, surprise, everything was back to normal. That a year after the problem started.

Whatever was wrong it's fixed, and I notice Microsoft Updates have repaired a number of updated that wouldn't install,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant