TuneUp Utilities 2006

Angry Kid 22:30 29 Mar 06

Evening folks,

I have just read the review of this program click here but wondered if anyone on the forum had tried it on their system and what they thoought of it?

Also, is anyone able to point me in the direction of reliable (tried and tested)free software which is available on the net that does the same job. I currently use CCleaner and RegScrubXP.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Angry ;)

woodchip 22:36 29 Mar 06

Well the link say's it all, if that's what you are looking for. But do not expect a new computer with a faster CPU

VoG II 22:40 29 Mar 06

If you do not have a problem you do not need this type of softwarwe.

Longhouse 22:47 29 Mar 06

If you have problems or believe that your PC is not running at its optimum the PC Pitstop web site can help - either to point you in the direction of a few "tricks" or to convince you that your PC is working OK. Its free and has helped me to sort out a few "problems"

click here

Shortstop 10:33 30 Mar 06

- it was a gift from my daughter.

To be honest, although it is good at what it does, there are other free alternatives that are just as good. One good fature is the 'One Click Maintenance' - although I also use Easycleaner [ click here ], CCleaner [ click here ] and these claim to find other problems that TuneUp missed/may not feel are worth reporting.

Personally, I think that EasyCleaner has more options [it can produce a pie chart of what programs are taking up space, etc.] and I made a voluntary contribution towards this program.

Would I now buy it? Unlikely, given that other programs do as good a job [if not better] and they are free.

HTH

Paul

BigRik 12:41 30 Mar 06

I've had TuneUp Utilities for the last couple of years, but now that I'm a lot more confident with the computer, I probably won't renew my subscription when it expires. As the review states, "computer-savvy readers may already take care of many of the tasks Utilities handles", and although I'm by no means an expert, I'm currently now using other (free) software that forms the base of TuneUp.

It really is a good piece of software. Everything you need to keep your system running smoothly is in one package and it does its job very well.

Its just that over time as my knowledge has grown, I prefer to be a little more hands on.

Overall, the PCA review you have read seems to be a very accurate summary based on the posts so far!

SB23 16:58 30 Mar 06

I used it as a trial some months ago, and found it to be very good. However, as others have said, there are freebie programs that I now use that will do the same job, if not better.
I also believe that there is a free 30 day trial on the latest PCA mag disc. I would check, but I put my disc down, and can't seem to find it now.lol

SB23

DerekR 18:14 30 Mar 06

I think it's an excellent little program - mind you, I'm a lazy so-and-so!!

My kids love it because it has a win styler and we no longer have boring Windows welcome and splash screens

It's kept my two systems in top notch order for a couple of years now. Bit pricy at £25 (ish). I would not purchase it again seeing as though all the freebies do the clean up jobs as well (if not better).

All in all, its a worthwhile addition to your system if spending a few quid does not bother you

Angry Kid 21:13 02 Apr 06

Thanks to everyone for their posts.

I have tried it. However, I prefer to keep to some of the free progs as recommended on this forum.

Thanks again.

Angry ;)

terryf 10:17 03 Apr 06

Just remember the old saying 'If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5