Tune your broardband connection

rayyee 15:56 12 Aug 03

In Windows XP Q&As September Issue mentioned a tweek to speed up surfing by using

"ping click here -f -l 1472"

to find out the MTU all I seem to get back is "request timed out" any ideas?

(Connection is through a Eicon Diva 2430SE ADSL modem RJ45 port to my server Compaq Neoserver 150 then on to the LAN)

The Sack 16:45 12 Aug 03

you can use the BT MTU tweaker to find it

click here

The Sack 16:46 12 Aug 03

it is near the bottom of the page.

Djohn 18:24 12 Aug 03

Do you know if this will apply to AOL as well, or do they have there own methods? j.

I received an email from my ISP today which reads:
As you may be aware, over the last few months BT have highlighted certain performance issues across the ADSL network.

After a period of investigation, it was deemed that these issues arose from a misconfiguration of certain hardware on the BT network. This equipment was responsible for routing your connection through to your ISP.

Several "fixes" have been made available to the public both by BT and third parties. These worked by adjusting the "MTU" value of the user's networking settings. This broke down the data into smaller chunks resulting in reduced load on the BT network.

BT have taken action based on feedback from users and ISPs regarding this matter and over the last month have been systematically isolating and resolving these problems, resulting in periods of intermittant connectivity out of peak time. This work has since been completed successfully.

This should mean the end of previously necessary tweaks????? Here's hoping.

jospar 20:10 12 Aug 03

Could this action from BT, explain why since coming back off holiday last week, my downloading speed as increased?

All speeds test that I've done in the past all show exellent results, except when it comes to down loading it was a bit slugish here, but no more it seems that the whole lot has speeded up.

Unless of coruse my fortnight away, with no telly no computer, radio only when I was in the car, has given a false perspective over speed?

nick_j007 20:13 12 Aug 03

Can I break in here please?

I found this link and some tweaks that are available. I am on Freeserve BB, and a speed check earlier today told me that my speed was 'poor'! Hate to think I could be going faster and not doing so.

click here

Do tell me what you think...do people make speed tweak changes as standard with BB?

Thanks, Nick Jones

Djohn 20:25 12 Aug 03

click here and do a speed test, it's on the left panel under ADSL guide. j.

reddwarfcrew 20:29 12 Aug 03

that artcle was done after I emailed them a question (after all help from here failed). I had the answer some weeks before it went to print, but unfortnatley it didn't help my problem (I was getting very poor BB speeds)

Eventually got it sorted thou thru some other twaeks that I found on another forum. MY ADSL has never been better!

reddwarfcrew 20:31 12 Aug 03

... I'm trying to find out what I did so I can let you know.

nick_j007 20:32 12 Aug 03

Many thanks.

I have done this one before. Trouble is, I admit that all the numbers are fairly meaningless to me! (sorry)
I could do with someone to say yes, or no, your speed is average/acceptable or you must be joking! type of thing.

BTW, my d'load speed was 65kbps, and the upload speed was 252 kbps.

Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…