Tualatin? Coppermine? What are they?

bunz 16:15 26 Jan 03

I have been looking on ebay today at P 3 CPUs, but every now and then I see one that has either tualatin or coppermine mentioned. I guess this is the codename for different "breeds" of the P3, but which is best?

Please help - I really need to upgrade ASAP as my P2 266 is feeling the strain!

Lú-tzé 16:52 26 Jan 03

Yes, they are different "breeds" as you say.

I have installed the coppermine on a couple of PCs a few years ago and found they were good. I don't know the other one.

Just go for the fastest processor that you can - it will depend on the mobo and may require a BIOS update.

Have a look at cex.co.uk click here - they regularly sell older processors.

Psiman 16:59 26 Jan 03

Coppermine and Tualatin are the names given to Intel Celeron processor cores, the Coppermine is older, the Tualatin the newer and faster. They also have different pin arrangements so take care, they usually are not interchangeable. Post back with any system information if you need any more help.

DieSse 17:25 26 Jan 03

Coppermine and Tualatin apply both to Celerons and Pentium3 chips. The Tualatin is the later, faster core. This is the one you should go for.

The 1.4GHz Celeron, with the Tualatin core, and FCPGA2 packaging is an excellent, fast, stable, budget processor. It has 100MHz FSB and 256Kb cache. Most current M/boards will support both types.

DieSse 17:26 26 Jan 03

Coppermine and Tualatin apply both to Celerons and Pentium3 chips. The Tualatin is the later, faster core. This is the one you should go for.

The 1.4GHz Celeron, with the Tualatin core, and FCPGA2 packaging is an excellent, fast, stable, budget processor. It has 100MHz FSB and 256Kb cache. Most current M/boards will support both types.

bunz 21:28 26 Jan 03

Thanks everyone for your help - but a little more please!

Psiman - if the pin arrangements are different do they use different motherboards? I was aiming for a Soyo SY-7VAC-E Socket 370 (also on e-bay) - it will take P3's up to 1.13GHz according the Soyo's website - but doesn't mention which P3's!

Thanks again

Bunz

Psiman 10:05 27 Jan 03

When I was looking to upgrade a Celeron Coppermine to a new faster Celeron Tualatin core (which has 0.13 micron technology), I found out that the pin out array was different from the old one and hence wasn't a direct swap.

As DieSse correctly pointed out you are looking for a PIII. I will try and dig around and see if I can find any more info.

Tog 11:28 27 Jan 03

There are only 3 boards listed on the SOYO website that support Tualatin and the board you mention is not one of them. Go to click here and click on Tualatin in the LHS menu

bunz 21:57 27 Jan 03

Psiman - Thanks again. Any further info on this would be a help.

Tog - Yes that is the motherboard I meant - got the letters mixed up, durr! Thanks for pointing that out though, I could have easily have made a mistake with that!

Psiman 13:57 09 Feb 03

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Various reasons....

click here for an explanation of the pin-out stuff.

Quote "Intel's launch of the Pentium III with Tualatin core (from 1.2 GHz) was a real slap in the face for the simple reason that, although it used the same physical socket as its predecessor the Coppermine, it required a slightly different pin layout".

Maybe this helps?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…