Trying to set up home network - wifi signal v poor

Debicj 14:22 09 Oct 09

I am trying to set up a home network. So far I have used a netgear router/modem and have the main pc connected to it by wires. I can use this to connect my laptop wirelessly from most parts of the house.

However, my problem is that my daughter's pc is in a far part of the house where the laptop gets a poor signal and her desktop pc, using a wireless adapter gets only 13% signal and won't connect to the internet.

Any suggestions on how to get my daughter's pc connected so that she can use the internet. She needs to be able to use it independently (not only when the main pc is on).

I have thought of trying a hi gain antenna on the router but don't want to waste money if this won't work. I have also considered using mains adapters but they seem to be expensive and I am not sure if she would be able to connect when the other pc is switched off.

I'd be very grateful for any advice. Thanks. Debi

ambra4 18:09 09 Oct 09

“She needs to be able to use it independently (not only when the main pc is on)”

The wireless system is independent of the main pc connected, which is hard wired to the router

There is no need for the main PC to be on for the wireless system to work

“I am not sure if she would be able to connect when the other pc is switched off”

Once the router is on and connected to the broadband line all computers either hard wired or via

the wireless network will have access to the Internet even if the main computers is switch off

“I have also considered using mains adapters but they seem to be expensive”

You can look at the following option if you must have wireless access

NETGEAR Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kit

click here

Or you can use the Linksys PowerLine Turbo Ethernet Adapter Kit, which will give you a

hard wire connection

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5