Trying to set up a boot menu harddrive missing in boot order

SminkyGet 14:52 28 Mar 15
Answered

I added an another hard drive with win 7 64 installed on it. So I now have 1 hard drive with win 7 32 bit and one with 64 bit (I need booth).

before when I have done this a boot option was automatically created. This time however the only way I can accesses the new drive with Win 64 on it is by going into my bios and manually selecting the drive to boot from. However I did detach the original 32 bit harddrive when I was installing the 64 bit OS to make sure I didn't erase it (as the drives are the same size).

How can I get a boot menu set up so I can pick which drive I want to load.

My motherboard is ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3 click here Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

caccy 15:22 28 Mar 15

I have an ASUS motherboard and during boot-up I get the choice of pressing F8 to select which drive I wish to boot-up from. It may be worth trying this. Alternativly your motherboard manual should tell you. If you do not have a manual you should be able to download one from the ASUS web site.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 28 Mar 15

You need to edit BCD and add the second drive

Open Command Prompt as Administrator then run the commands

bcdboot [drive]:\windows

Change [drive] as your OS drive i.e. if installed win7 64 on H:\ drive so the command should be like

bcdboot H:\windows

Now you have added new entry but it will be the 1st entry in the boot options and also the default OS.

if you want to change the order i.e normaally

Change display order of OS from the Boot Menu

1: Run the following command as administrator

bcdedit

It will show the current boot menu entries

Please note the identifiers of each operating system.

64 bit Identifier – {default} 32 bit Windows 7 Identifier – {current} NB:- Sometimes the identifier looks like {87d20782-d0c2-11e2-bed0-1c6f65e04da2}

2: To change Windows 7 as 1st entry Run the following command as Administrator

Bcdedit.exe /displayorder {current} {default}

Sometime your identifier looks like {c84b751a-ff09-11d9-9e6e-0030482375e6} instead of {current} or {default}. In such situations you must give the identifier as it is (long number).

How to Change Default OS Sequence from Boot menu

1: Right click on My Computer and select Properties.

2: Go to Advanced System Settings

In the Advanced tab click Settings button under Startup and Recovery section.

Change the default operating system and click OK.

SminkyGet 16:08 28 Mar 15

thanks for the response is Bcdedit applicable for a 2nd physical drive? I shall give it a shot. Is there any risk to the OS? I'd be in a lot of trouble if I messed up my 32bit OS install.

I shall also try f8, but I imagine it will only display one drive

SminkyGet 16:13 28 Mar 15

f8 just brings up a list of bootable devices, the same list that I can get in Bios. I can select whichever drive fine from there.

So Ideally I just need my pc to auto hit f8 upon boot.

SminkyGet 16:16 28 Mar 15

do I do the bcdboot in users or just c: ? either way it reads 'failure when attempting to copyboot files.'

BRYNIT 16:31 28 Mar 15

You could try Visual BCD editor CLICK HERE

bumpkin 16:54 28 Mar 15

You have not said whether you have Easy BCD installed or not. If not click here

SminkyGet 17:02 28 Mar 15

I don't have that installed what dose it do?

SminkyGet 17:05 28 Mar 15

(wish there was an edit button on this site). I was hopping to find a free solution. BCD is $30 last time I installed additional windows I had my original harddrive attached. If I did a re-install of the 64 bit OS, but this time with the 32 bit attached would that pick up the boot option. As last time a duel boot screen was created automatically.

Thanks

bumpkin 17:08 28 Mar 15

What you want it to do, give you a choice of which OS to use. The free version works fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac