//some 3rd party need geo

Trying to save Gifs, but only get BMP option (XP)

Dan 11:21 10 Aug 03

Hi folks,

This used to be ok so my guess is I either tripped a switch or something tripped it for me.

Anyhow I've been trying to grab nice Gifs like the images folks use on sites as their legends for my neices (mini tom and Jerry toons etc) and recently I keep getting the option to save them as BMPs only, not as GIFs and as you know a BMP won't do.

Can someone tell me how to switch this back.

(Running XPhome with IE6 or Opera on a 2200xp system)

Cheers

Dan

Dan 11:50 10 Aug 03

I find I can still save gifs in Opera, but I'd like to get IE6 onboard too, and it's obviously in there that there is a problem

Cheers again

Dan

JIM 12:24 10 Aug 03

To clarify.

What happens in IE6 when you right click on any picture,then choose save picture as?

Do you not then have the option on THE Save as tab to select GIF OR BMP?

bamfiesler 12:27 10 Aug 03

Jim is correct.I am also running xp and have just clicked on one of the GIFS on the Helpromm page and gotten option to save. XP should let u do it.

Patr100 13:52 10 Aug 03

If you cannot save any other pictures (jpgs) as well without getting the BMP option. Go to Internet options/temp files/ Press "delete temp files". This is a recognised bug in IE when the cache gets bloated. If that doesn't work save the entire page that the gif is on by "File - save as" and the associated files including the gif will be in a sub folder within the folder you save it in eg My documents. Copy the gif from that folder and delete the rest.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:36 10 Aug 03

Mr Gates has something to say about this problem.....click here

G

Dan 16:00 10 Aug 03

that emptying the cache sorted it out.

Must remember to housekeep more often.

Thanks again

Dan

xanderog 16:57 10 Aug 03

You were spot on . I had the same problem and followed your advice ,i.e. emptied temp . internet files and " hey presto" ,everything now O.K.
Ta much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…