Trying to Roll Back Windows Media Player 11

TicTacToc 14:27 02 Dec 06

Ok, I am having many problems, that seem generally unsolveable. The last thing I want to do is reformat. . as it will take me months to get back Windows to how I like it.

My problems include the inability to use any web streaming surface, Firefox crashing + freezing all the time but only when I have a one or more videos open in a tab .. e.t.c

I followed the instructions from the windows website.

I am logged on as an Administrator (i.e. my account type is 'administrator' but my name is something different)
When I go into the add remove programs, select Windows Media Player 11 and click remove, it says starting to roll back, then 2 seconds later says 'Roll-back is completed'.
However WMP 11 is still there, after a restart and everything else I try, and I can't roll back the runtime 11, because it says WMP 11 is still there.

The file sizes are both 10mb which seems a bit odd..

Any ideas?
Thanks

SANTOS7 14:34 02 Dec 06

click here
detailed instructions in the link.
hope they help..
You might want to consider some sort of BACK-UP procedure "taking months" to restore your computer is obviously not the way to go, Backing up all your important files/docs is paramount in case of fatal error you can do this to another HDD a partitioned HDD or removable media such as DVD...

TicTacToc 15:52 02 Dec 06

Santos - I kinda exaggerated a bit with the 'months', I do have all my important data backed up, its just I wouldnt enjoy installing all my programs and getting all my settings and stuff back e.t.c.

The instructions in that link are the ones I have followed, but nothing happens at #4: it says it has successfully been rolled back, but WMP 11 is still there. . so I can't delete Runtime and restarting does nothign. .

:(

SANTOS7 16:00 02 Dec 06

Not sure where to go now, Have ya tried a re-install
rather than an uninstall

anskyber 16:03 02 Dec 06

Are you XP or XP MCE?

Hertz Van Rentyl 16:04 02 Dec 06

You may have a restore point saying "installed media player 11" this will be the state prior to your update.

Technotiger 16:07 02 Dec 06

As a matter of interest Acronis True Image will give you a Complete backup of Everything on your pc, including programs, all settings etc.

Backed up to a External Harddrive, it is the best way to go.

TicTacToc 16:07 02 Dec 06

anskyber - XP Home SP2

Hertz Van Rentyl - It was too long ago - my system restore only goes back the last 1 or 2 months. I installed WMP more like 4 months ago.

anskyber 16:09 02 Dec 06

In that case it could be a Beta version not the final WMP 11 version, will look further.

birdface 23:56 02 Dec 06

You can delete WMP from C Cleaner, The only thing is I dont know if it will roll back to the previous edition.

TicTacToc 17:41 03 Dec 06

I just tried with CCleaner, but I think it only deletes the history of WMP.

anskyber - now I think about it, I think I did install a beta when I first installed it, but have since tried to reinstall the main versions, although I am not sure whether the remnants of the beta might be playing a part.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now