trying to reload win98

Magik ®© 19:37 19 Oct 04

hi, been on this all day, just about had it, followed the instructions in the book, got all windows loaded,messed about with the start order, c drive first,,,,,,cd second, floppy 3rd.

when i take out the start up disk and the windows cd, the darn thing will not go, on the screen at the moment it says...

non bootable cd

insert boot-disk and press any key

i have now loaded windows and done the format bit 4 times, in the hope of putting it right.

any ideas

thanks

dfghjkl 19:45 19 Oct 04

you cant boot your version of 98 from your cd,you will have to have a boot floppy disc,then set pc to boot from floppy first.when you have booted into dos you should wipe out the old 98 then restart,then format then restart,then still in dos you choose to install from cd then insert cd and it will start copying files when you give it the command prompt to C or D:\setup.hope this helps,done it many times.peter

Magik ®© 19:48 19 Oct 04

thanks, i will start again, but no doubt i will be back...

dan 11 19:59 19 Oct 04

Try this

Start the computer and keep pressing the delete button. This should take you to the bios.

Look for the advanced cmos settings, usually the second entry. Open it and scroll down to first boot. Change this to cdrom by using the PgUp or PgDn buttons. Press F10 to save and exit.

The computer will reboot, put the windows 98 disk in to the cdrom drive, don't use the floppy.

Let it load and you should have 3 options, pick the option to start with cdrom support.

You should then get to a flashing a:
Type format c: after this, has you have been doing....a:\ format c: and enter

It will worn you about formatting, press y.

Just press enter for a label.

you should be back to the a:\ again now type sys c:

a:\ sys c: and enter

It should then say system transfered. and back to a:
Now you have to find your cdrom drive letter. It will be all your partitioned drives plus a ram drive. So if you have partitions c+d+e, then the ram drive(f). Your cdrom drive letter will be moved to g. Try this by putting what drive you think it is behind the a:\ so

a:\ g: and enter

then type dir after this and enter.

g:\ dir enter

Does this give you the contents of the windows disk, if not, try another letter f or h

If it does bring up the cd directory, then type win98\setup after it.

g:\ win98\setup and enter

Windows should now load.

When it has finished loading the files, 100%, and goes for a reboot enter the bios again by pressing the delete button. Now as above change the first boot to hdd0, F10 to save and exit.

The computer should now reboot and finish windows off.

Magik ®© 20:10 19 Oct 04

thanks, just tried to start again, done the format bit, loaded windows, only to be told at the end of it that it already has a OS. so now we start again...........i will now follow your post..........my son left this with me this morning, kids.who would have them..

Valvegrid 20:12 19 Oct 04

They make you learn about computers though ;-)

canard 20:16 19 Oct 04

Woodchip gave this advice click here
[for reinstalling Win98 SE] to sht down AV- put disc into PC whilst running Windows. Then I went to settings- add remove- install and it all went well. Any good to you? Or are you reformatting and then installing?

Magik ®© 20:23 19 Oct 04

beacause he has made a pigs ear of this laptop, we thought we would start again, but at the moment , i type at the A:. format c: /s

it goes through the motions and lands up where it started..........how can i get rid of the partitions..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…