Trying to recover data from dead notebook - HELP!!

jeez 18:36 24 May 03

My old trusty notebook died, so I got a ide cable from maplins that allows me to attach the notebook's hd to my desktop. The data is all there I can see the drive edit files etc as normal, the problem is that when I try to open the my documents folder access is denied (was running xp pro, with different user profiles) any ideas how to access the files within this folder? cheers, jim.

this might not work and you may have tried it but what happens if you create a user account on your desktop with the user name and password that you used on the laptop?

jeez 20:11 24 May 03

6hanks horiz 5 but figured it out, xp pro, right click on folder, select security, advanced and owner, take ownership and close dialogue, re-open and add administrators to security settings. close and open folder. (just in case anyone has a similar problem in the future). (must disable simple file sharing first)

Piggy,Piggy 20:13 24 May 03

Check that the file is not read-only, archive or hidden. Right click and Select Properties, at the bottom of the popup, under the General tab, deselect any of these and click apply, then try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…