trying to re boot xp from disc

ginger103 16:33 16 Apr 05

i am trying re install from windows oem xp disc
when i try to install the message said cannot install as there is a newer version already on the harddisc already. i changed the bios so i could boot up from the cd rom with the disc. when i got to press any key to boot off disc it just keeps bootting into my present versin wich i am trying to delete to make way for a clean version. i am trying to springclean to get rid of all the rubbish.

xania 16:39 16 Apr 05

Problem is that not all OEM versions behave the same way. Some bootable CDs expect you to hit any key before they will boot directly off the hard disk - you need to be very quick otherwise it will still boot off the hard disk.

If that fails, and you really want to scrap everything, the best thing to do is re-format the hard disk. You may find that simply by right-clicking the drive in My Computer and selecting <Format> will work and then, when you reboot.....

xania 16:39 16 Apr 05

Problem is that not all OEM versions behave the same way. Some bootable CDs expect you to hit any key before they will boot directly off the hard disk - you need to be very quick otherwise it will still boot off the hard disk.

If that fails, and you really want to scrap everything, the best thing to do is re-format the hard disk. You may find that simply by right-clicking the drive in My Computer and selecting <Format> will work and then, when you reboot.....

xania 16:40 16 Apr 05

Opps - sorry about the double posting - clicked the mouse too many times.

ginger103 16:50 16 Apr 05

it sounds a bit ominous[when you reboot] i am not overly confident on this computer lark.
are you saying if i do the reformat then put the cd rom as the first boot put the oem disc in it will reboot ??????.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:03 16 Apr 05
  ginger103 17:25 16 Apr 05

i looked at all the click heres but they were for upgrading. i already have windows xp i am trying to erase and do a fresh re install.
i really appreciate all your tips and help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 16 Apr 05

1. Set Bios to boot CDRom as 1st device HDD as 2nd.

2. keep pressing a key as PC boots with CD in Drive

3. XP CD should give you 3 options 1 install 2. repair using recovery consul select recovery consul

4. when booted into recovery consul at the c:\windows prompt type format c: (this wiill wipe Cdrive and your XP from the drive. On completion type exit to reboot the computer.

5. Reboot with CD in drive as before this time select option 1 install

ginger103 18:22 16 Apr 05

thank you i will give it a go.if all goes well i will report back .

lotvic 18:24 16 Apr 05

ginger103 18:52 16 Apr 05

no matter how often or when i hit any key it still boots into windows.everything else is ok i get as far as hit any key to boot from disc but it still boots to windows.my finger is worn to the bone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…