trying to open MS Word 2000 and Freeze/lock up

Giggle n' Bits 22:27 02 Apr 03

then I CTRL-ALT-DEL and a white box comes up saying something along the lines of Dangerous low on system resources "Winword"

using Win98Se, tried add/remove to repair/reinstall with no sucess. Unable to close machine down only possible with Reset button on front of Tower.

Wouldn't mind but everything else works fine until I try to open word 2000 (part of Works Suite 2001)

Checked for Virus OK.

Anyone know what this problem is. AMD Athlon 1.4GHz 266FSB with 256MB PC2100 DDR system resources are actually 86% which I wouldn't say was dangerously low.

Is Win Word the Clue ?. Will have a look at MS site see if its a known problem. Any help here would deserve a Pint and a cigar to the cure !

Djohn 00:40 03 Apr 03

I think the problem can be fixed by renaming the word. document, but i'm not sure of the procedure.

This post will put you back to the top, and someone will post details of how to do! J.

AndySD 00:47 03 Apr 03

Go Start choose Find and look for Normal.doc (there may be more than one)Rename to Normal.old

Try opening word again.... it will recreate Normal.doc (this is the bacic Word template)

Giggle n' Bits 00:49 03 Apr 03

Thank you Djohn & AndySD for your call in my post. Will report back on my result.

Thanks !

Giggle n' Bits 00:57 03 Apr 03

Hope this lasts.

Thank you mega thanks, Pint for AndySD and Djohn.
Word really can get corrupt at times. don't suppose you know or does anyone know why this happens.

It wouldn't find normal.doc so I just looked for normal and it came up in search. Is there a normal.dot also ?.

Anyway its sorted thank you to you both, really appreciated guys.

Cheker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…