Trying to open a jpeg file

Sapins 16:46 11 Jan 05

I have a photo on the hard drive which will not open although it is the same type as some other photos which open ok.

When I try to open this one I get a message "Can't determine type"

Anyone any idea why this photo won't open when other ones do?

Sans le Sou 16:50 11 Jan 05

If it has been downloaded from the web sometimes the file looks ok but there is a bit of information missing and it will not open.(I think)

Salinger 16:51 11 Jan 05

Maybe a stupid question, but have you checked it's Properties?

Sapins 17:13 11 Jan 05

I took this photo myself at a birthday party and as usual I do not have another copy.

Properties tells me it is a JPEG file of 1.34mb and is Read Only. What else would I be looking for?

I have unticked the Read Only box, no good, and looked in Microsoft Windows File Association which say's Paint will open it but it doesn't!

ACOLYTE 17:16 11 Jan 05

If you downlaod click here then have this for images only,when you open a pic with it and it has the wrong extension you will get a message and this app puts the correct extension on for you.

Salinger 17:22 11 Jan 05

1.34 mb sounds pretty big for a jpeg, does your camera have other settings, ie RAW or TIFF? What camera?

Sapins 17:30 11 Jan 05

ACOLYTE, thanks for that link I'll download it later and see if it helps, if not with this problem then with future photos.

Salinger, I took it on maximum resolution on a Pentax Optio 230.

Sapins 17:39 11 Jan 05

Just installed IrfanView and tried to open the file, it say's I need Photoshop 3.0 to open it.

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements which I can install and try, but probably tomorrow or Thursday, will post back then to let you know what has happened.

Salinger 21:25 11 Jan 05

Maximum resolution on that camera is 1600x1210 pixels, but that is a TIFF format. Maximum jpeg size would be 1600x1200 pixels. Maybe this is the problem?

Sapins 10:27 14 Jan 05

I'm putting myself forward for the first "What a Wally" award for 2005.

After doing a bit of searching I found that the file was originally in a recovered files folder from when I used a file recovery programme and it turns out it is partially damaged, hence it won't open :-((

Hides head in shame and disgust, and hurriedly ticks this thread.

Thanks for all the help anyway,

Salinger 10:49 14 Jan 05

It always helps to know what the problem was, far better than just letting the thread die with no explanation. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…