trying to make a vpn connection

gourdis 20:02 13 Jun 05

folks, trying to make a vpn connection, but get an 800 error, the adsl modem i have is a bt voyager usb modem (i think its a voyager 100), can i make a vpn connection through this. I've tried both my laptop and pc but to no avail. Both have XP professional.

am at my wits end plz help

howard60 21:28 13 Jun 05

yes the modem should be fine - 99% of failed vpn connections is the system at the far end. Normally it has a different user name/password that you are using. You do not say what error message you are getting. The normal one is that the host server does not recognise you. This is normally dealt with by the it techie at the receiving end entering the system and resetting the user name and password. I had to do this last friday.

gourdis 22:09 13 Jun 05

howard60 thanks for reply,

the error is error 800: unable to establish the VPN connection. The VPN server may be unreachable, or security parameters may not be configured properly for this connection.

IT man says all is well at his end, as he tried to connect using a laptop in the office through normal phone line and it worked. I tried pinging the server IP address but it comes back having failed, so it now looks as though the server firewall is stopping me gaining access ???
Thanks again howard60 at least i know the modem should be fine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…