trying to make phone calls from computer

cappac 17:16 19 Mar 06

phone calls from computer

i am trying to make phone calls from my computer but i dont know wether my modem can do this or if i can get softwear that will do the job my modem is a dynalink 1456vqh-r4 smart pci modem
i am not trying to use internet phonecalls (VOIP)
i just want to be able to make calls thru the computer using outlook and some 3rd party softwear is this posible and if so how do i go about it

thank craig

ACOLYTE 17:30 19 Mar 06

It can be done but you would need 3rd party software to do it,and it would have to be to someone who already has the software installed.I also think you would need an account of some sort with a provider to set it up,but not sure.

spuds 17:33 19 Mar 06

Isn't that just a VOIP provider?

I live in Spain and have been trying for ages to get various packages working over the internet. Even using satellite broadband (one way and two way) the quality isn't good, so I would have thought it would be terrible over a normal 56K modem.

BRYNIT 23:03 19 Mar 06

Check the driver/program disk that came with your Computer/modem you may find you have the program but have not installed it.

cappac 23:05 19 Mar 06

i am just trying to make phone calls from my computer not thru the internet i think that i need 3rd part software and i am not sure if my modem is the right one for the job and what sort of software is needed

gfpbatpcadvisor 18:00 20 Mar 06

you can register with this site and get free calls to other skype users and a small charge if you want to connect to a land line. only problem is getting all your contacts to register like i did. hope this helps here is the link - click here

ACOLYTE 18:07 20 Mar 06

So what you want is to make you pc behave like a phone,win 98 had a phone dialer dont think xp does at least i havent found one.Whatever software you get i think you will need an account with someone if you plan on phoning landlines or mobiles,skype is good for pc to pc,but you both need the sofware and an account.
Seems to me its far easier just to pick up the phone,and its somthing you are already paying for.

bluto1 19:53 20 Mar 06

gfpbatpcadvisor is right. Get your call recipients to sign up tp SKYPE for free and you can then have free phonecalls. I do it daily.

DieSse 22:04 20 Mar 06

*i just want to be able to make calls thru the computer*

Can I just enquire why? - it won't cost any different than doing it from a regular 'phone.

I see you're in Spain - so am I - I use a broadband link (512Kbps) via wireless (no telephone line), available in many parts of Andalucia. It's a joint program via the Junta de Andalucia and a company, to bring broadband into areas without telephone lines. It comes with a very good, cheap, telephone service, and is not via satellite.

If you can explain what you do have, can't get, and why you're asking what you're sking, I'll do my best to give you some pointers.

Danoh 00:41 21 Mar 06

real WWAN! now I get your reference to open-standards SIP devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…