trying to install internet connection

losmil 13:33 03 Aug 10

have just purchased a new authentic xp home to install on my new desktop using outlook express to install an internet connection, connection failed and after exhausting checks of my settings with my isp they conclude that the fault lies with outlook express (and this time I believe them)
I contacted microsoft but they refused technical help unless I paid £46 on top of the £70 I paid microsoft for the os disk!
Can anyone suggest how i can get mozilla firefox and thunderbird onto my new computer without using outlook express?
I have access another computer that does work,some way of copying over perhaps?

birdface 13:57 03 Aug 10

Do you mean Internet Explorer.

losmil 14:04 03 Aug 10

internet explored does not work either just says unavailable and suggests various things to try, none of which work, so i tried outlook express

birdface 14:53 03 Aug 10

Try .Control Panel.Internet options.Programs.
make sure Internet Explorer is the default web browser.Apply ok.
Is your connection by wireless or ethernet.And what ISP are you using.
Is there anything on your computer that actually connects to the Internet.
Maybe look into device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks beside any of your programs.

tullie 15:22 03 Aug 10

Im confused,Outlook Express is an email client,nothing to do with finding your internet connection,you have also got two threads running.

birdface 17:32 03 Aug 10

Maybe run the fix it on this and see if that works.

click here

DieSse 17:41 03 Aug 10

Assuming you're using an Ethernet (LAN) connection to an ADSL router.

After loading XP, have you installed the drivers from the motherboard utility CD. Theses will probably be needed to make the Ethernet port work. Without that you won't be able to connect.

losmil 20:09 03 Aug 10

than you ds, I am an idiot, got carried away and forgot to load the mb drivers, problem solved and than you the lads/lasses that contributed useful suggestions

tullie 20:35 03 Aug 10

Please remember in future,not to send private messages to people,unless invited.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…