Trying to improve startup speed

Border View 11:10 18 Aug 08

My computer seems to take ages to start up. I am running XP Home SP2. So I figured I would go into MSCONFIG and untick things like webcam, scanner, and others. Unticked them and clicked.

Got a message to the effect that You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.. The SCU is currently in Diagnostic Selective startup mode causing this message to be displayed. The utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the normal start up mode on the general tab and start Windows normally to undo the changes you made using SCU.

Then a tick box (which I didn’t) Don’t show this message or manage SCU when Windows starts.

Can anyone please give me step by step instructions for when I go into MSCONFIG to set up start up correctly and to stop unwanted items from starting up. It seems that “Normal” mode everything starts.

Your help would be appreciated.

VoG II 11:13 18 Aug 08

You need to tick the box - see this short video click here

howard64 11:14 18 Aug 08

you can virtually untick everything - I only leave zone alarm and avg ticked. After restarting put a tick in the box bottom left and everything will run ok

Border View 11:20 18 Aug 08

Many thanks fellas. Brilliant video VoG.

Border View 11:57 18 Aug 08

Just to mention that the link on the video to the list of what can and might not be used is excellent. Used it to go down my whole start up list. Very useful. Recommend. Thanks again VoG

Border View 10:31 16 Jan 09

I know its a while since I did this post, but yesterday had occasion to use it again.

Just in case anyone out there is having similar problems, this is a brilliant piece of advice.

Barmoor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now