Trying to go Wireless.....

RoyHoward 13:18 17 Mar 06

Oh the joys of trying to go wireless....Not!....
Recently moved to BT as my ISP.
The BTVoyager 2500v router is installed on my PC (albeit that it is wired up presently as I don't have a PC wireless adapter yet)...However I do have the NETGEAR WG511T laptop adapter for and have installed the software on the laptop.... I am encountering issues regards soemthing called 'WEP encryption' and entering 'keys manually'.....I have no idea what this means...Can any one assist please?......I have ticked the 'Computer to Computer (ad-hoc)' Network Type....The help facility on the CD is of no help and my knowledge of computers borders on being a Luddite!!!....

ade.h 16:26 17 Mar 06

My enthusiasm sinks a bit when I read "BT Voyager" as I have not yet had the pleasure (if you could call it that) of setting up one of these, so I don't have enough knowledge about them. If it's one of the "big four" I know where I'm at.

Anyway;

1) You're not creating an ad-hoc network, so don't go too far down that road.

2) WEP is a basic form of encryption/password system, and you should a) not be using it at all yet and b) using WPA-PSK instead.

Tell me how far you have got with the router config page and we'll work from there.

(Meanwhile, if any experienced Voyager owners are reading this...)

RoyHoward 19:17 17 Mar 06

I'm in a conundrum.....
1)..the laptop now can get on the internet but whenever you search it gives the following error message 'Internet explorer could not open the search page'.........Any ideas?.....
The added confusion lies in the fact that with the BT Voyager2500v as part of the package we have a 'deal' called BT Talk.........Today I bought the USB Adapter (Netgear WG111T) to make the PC wireless & the Netgear WGT624 Wireless Router...... Does anybody know if the BT Talk' facility will work through a non BT router?...As I would like to realise the full potential (If I can get passed the error messageoutlined above!) of the Netgears alleged 108 mbps...........Problems, problems....If the answer to the above question is no then I guess PC World will be getting a product returned!!!!...Any help given will be much appreciated.

mgmcc 21:37 17 Mar 06

<<< Today I bought the USB Adapter (Netgear WG111T) to make the PC wireless & the Netgear WGT624 Wireless Router >>>

I'm not sure what you are doing here because, as far as I know, the WGT624 is a "stand-alone" router (i.e. no combined ADSL Modem) which is normally suitable for use with Cable broadband - NTL or Telewest.

Are you "daisy chaining" two routers so that the Netgear's WAN port is plugged into a LAN port in the Voyager? Otherwise, how is the Netgear connecting to the internet?

RoyHoward 23:43 17 Mar 06

No...I'm actually hoping to use the Netgear as the one and only router...However I'm now wondering if the Netgear has the capability to do what the BtVoyager does ie; act as a second telephone line.......If it doesn't then , effectively, the Wg511t, will never be utilised with its full potential...Any one know if the Netgear can accept and present a second tel line....?...Thanks

mgmcc 09:25 18 Mar 06

I think you have missed the point I was making - the WGT624 is *not* a combined "Router & ADSL Modem", it is only a router - how will you connect it to the internet with no modem?

RoyHoward 14:34 18 Mar 06

So would I then have to connect the Netgear to the BT Voyager then to the computer?.....Would that effectively make it a wireless set up?..Indeed would it actually work?... Or should I just revert back to the original 56 speed modem installed internally with the computer and install the Netgear (If so would the netgear perform at the 108kbps promised on the box?......Any further clarification greatly appreciated.......

ade.h 15:16 18 Mar 06

It sounds like you may be wandering further off the track and can't see the woods for the trees.

You can't make a routed network that takes an internet connection from an internal modem. Nor will it work with analogue; ADSL or cable only. An ad-hoc network using ICS is a different matter, but you're not going to be doing that.

Cable services require a router; ADSL services require a modem/router except with the use of certain very specific routers that can handle USB ADSL modems.

You should use the Voyager modem/router, and avoid trying to daisy-chain it with another router. That is either difficult or impossible depending on the equipment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5