trying to get skype to work on 2nd hand laptop

robihun 19:57 18 Jul 09

Hi,my mothers recently brought a 2nd hand laptop of her friend,a Toshiba sa40-702,it has recently had a health check of Pc world trying to get in touch with them has proved an impossibility,we live some distance apart so decided to go with skype and msn messenger,when installed nothing will work,the prior owners name(even though not down as administater)is cropping up all over,she had varieties of ms office,which have not been able to remove obviously hogging system resources,apologies for vagueness of query,but am at wits end,Help Please

Technotiger 20:29 18 Jul 09

I am guessing that there was no proper software with the laptop, by that I mean no OS disc! It also would appear that the previous owner has not removed their personal info.

If that is the case, then I would advise that you will probably need to purchase an OS, like XP or Vista (though if it is an old laptop, Vista would not be any good), then install the new OS before anything will work properly.

But a bit more info would help. What RAM available, would be a start - then size of hard-drive for instance.

Technotiger 20:31 18 Jul 09

If you can download and install click here, you should then be able to get rid of any old software that is not required.

Technotiger 20:45 18 Jul 09

On second thoughts, if the laptop has a official sticker on it, you would not necessarily need to buy a XP disc, but could use a borrowed disc with which to perhaps Repair the OS.

I would not advise having both Messenger and Skype, just stick with Skype, IMHO Skype is the better of the two. As long as both parties have Skype.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now