trying to get homeplugs to work with my Xbox 360

cr4igj82 10:10 12 May 09

I bought two Vivo 85Mbps Homeplugs from Amazon marketplace, they were advertised as perfect for Xbox Live which is what I wanted them for. I’m using a BT HomeHub router which is down stairs and my Xbox 360 is upstairs. When they arrived I did the following:

1) Tried them on my Xbox 360 – didn’t work.
2) Tried them on my laptop upstairs – didn’t work
3) Tried them on my laptop down stairs – Worked fine
4) Tried them upstairs again but turned the ‘Network Discovery’ option off – Worked fine!!
5) Tried them on my Xbox 360 again – didn’t work!

There was no troubleshooting guide and the instructions were about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. Any idea what I’m doing wrong and how come I could only connect upstairs when I changed the network discovery option (which is now greyed out)? But I could connect downstairs fine?? Is it something to do with my firewall that’s stoping my Xbox connecting?

Ashrich 19:38 12 May 09

Separate wiring for upstairs and down perhaps ? Is the Xbox getting recognised by the router ?

Ashley

T0SH 15:04 13 May 09

If your laptop still works when plugged into the upstairs homeplug that tells you all apart from your Xbox all is working as it should be

can I suggest you try to directly connect the Xbox to the home hub with an ethernet cable if it then works OK

the most likely cause is a low signal level due to the transmission distance between the homeplugs, contact the homeplug maker to ask for the solution

Cheers HC

T0SH 15:07 13 May 09

If your laptop still works when plugged into the upstairs homeplug that tells you all apart from your Xbox all is working as it should be

can I suggest you try to directly connect the Xbox to the home hub with an ethernet cable if it then works OK

the most likely cause is a low signal level due to the transmission distance between the homeplugs, contact the homeplug maker to ask for the solution

Cheers HC

Greyhairedone 17:52 13 May 09

I have heard that BT's responce to Home Plug problems is to replace them with an ethernet cable. May save you time in the end.
Just my 2d worth.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac