trying to format c:

PvG 13:02 15 Oct 05

Hi there
I am trying to reformat my C: drive on a Dell notebook from the command prompt. The prompt starts starts in C:\documents and setting \ me and I can't find a command to go to C: to insert the format C: command.
Any suggestions?
Thanks PvG

MAJ 13:07 15 Oct 05

You can't format from within Windows PvG, it wont commit suicide. Which operating System are you using (looks like XP) and what file system is your hard drive formatted in at the moment, FAT32 or NTFS?

PvG 13:16 15 Oct 05

I think I have found my way in by resetting the boot sequence.
Looks like reformatting C: is working, but will come back to you if I have problems!
Thanks
PvG

MAJ 13:22 15 Oct 05

That's the way to do it, PvG, boot from the XP CD and choose format from the options.

mattyc_92 14:38 15 Oct 05

or use a Windows 98 Start-Up disk (using the "fdisk" command if the system format is NTFS)

Chegs ® 17:30 15 Oct 05

You can get to C: by typing "cd ../return" but as stated,win wont allow you to commit harikari to itself.

cd [space]..[fullstops]Return

mattyc_92 17:37 15 Oct 05

Direct link to a Win98 Startup disk...... click here

You will need ONE floppy disk..... Note that this file is almost 1meg in size (and is an *.exe file) so it may take a while to download on dialup

Chegs ® 17:48 15 Oct 05

click here

Same file as mattyc_92's link,only off my website(890Kbs)

PvG 17:56 15 Oct 05

thanks for your help, folks!
PvG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…