Trying to fit an IDE hard drive alongside a SCSI

Maria-329615 10:10 30 Jan 03

Hi I need a second hard drive, I already have a SCSI drive fitted and am trying to fit an IDE one. I keep getting error messages and the computer will not boot.

I have a compaq prosignia 720 server.

With being IDE and SCSI mixed, do they still have to be set as master and slave?

Any help would be appreciated.

Diemmess 10:44 30 Jan 03

I run Win98SE and for historical reasons have a SCSI as boot drive C: I added a large IDE some time ago without trouble.

I think you may find the answer in BIOS. I have it seeking SCSI as boot drive and allow the computer to call my IDE the primary master.

It simply works that way, the IDE is jumpered to master as well, and is connected to the Primary IDE socket. The important thing seems to be to tell the computer to seek the SCSI for booting purposes.

All this assumes that your computer booted from the SCSI before you added the new HD.

Switcher 10:51 30 Jan 03

Your boot order may have been IDE HDD then Scsi and since you did not have an IDE HDD it then defaulted to Scsi.

As suggested above go in to BIOS and ensure that your boot order is set in order that you boot first from the HDD with which you wish to boot,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…