Trying to copy LP's ( 2nd bash!)

haricot 15:02 16 Nov 07

Hi Chaps

Tis me again. Following on from my last enquiry on this subject , I now have the gear set up on my desk.
My AR Recording Deck connected to a Protec Phono Box (MC Button in 'cos I have an Ortofon Moving coil Cartridge in the Arm)
Phono Box connected to the Computer(Blue Socket Line In at the back of the Tower Case).

I played an LP record .....Nothing! I was expecting to hear the Record play throught the speakers. Was i wrong in that expectation?

So Help ....what AM I doing wrong.

and I have'nt even tried to do any recording yet even though I have downloaded Audacity ( not that I know where to start with that yet)
should I not be getting sound thru my computer speakers ?

Cheers

shellship 15:27 16 Nov 07

I think that to listen you have to open Audacity and press the "record" button. There may be another way but that's what I do!

Jollyjohn 15:38 16 Nov 07

Right click on the speaker icon in the system tray and make sure that line in is not muted.

haricot 15:38 16 Nov 07

Hi shellship

Thanks for coming back. Yep I've done that and still not a sausage! I obviously have'nt done something I should have or there is something wrong with my set-up which is strange 'cos it is a new computer.

haricot 15:41 16 Nov 07

sorry jollyjohn . being a bit of dipstick , you'll have to remind where the system tray is !

shellship 15:44 16 Nov 07

May be something in Edit/Preferences/Audio In Out. Try playing with the various options.

haricot 15:44 16 Nov 07

But I am sure the speakers are not muted 'cos I can play other stuff that I have already recorded on to Windows Media and they sound fine.

haricot 15:51 16 Nov 07

Shellship thanks again but as I said in my opener I have not even started with Audacity yet,
let alone play around with the bits and bobs.

I was hoping just to get the LP sounding through my speakers and the fact that I can't do that has really made me lose a bit of heart , to be honest, to try and tackle audacity.

haricot 15:52 16 Nov 07

Shellship thanks again but as I said in my opener I have not even started with Audacity yet,
let alone play around with the bits and bobs.

I was hoping just to get the LP sounding through my speakers and the fact that I can't do that has really made me lose a bit of heart , to be honest, to try and tackle audacity.

keef66 15:55 16 Nov 07

I use Audio Cleaning lab and all I have to do is start up the software and play the record. I can hear the music whether I'm recording it or not.

Is there a Windows setting under sound & audio devices where you select the line in input? I'll have a look when I get home

Jollyjohn 18:09 16 Nov 07

Hi
Somewhere in the bottom right corner of the desktop should be a little speaker icon - you may have "show unused icons" Right click and untick mute under the line in slider.
Alternatively go start, control panel, souns and audio devices, advanced.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…