Trying to backup.

Meshuga 18:39 14 Nov 04

I am trying,using Acronis True Image, to back up my hard drive to Disc. I`ve tried with CD-RW and CD-R but it always shows unable to write to disc. I have previously transferred documents to disc so I know the drive works. It tells me that one of the reasons could be the Quality of the Media and to make sure that the floppy`s or cd`s are properly prepared. I know a floppy should be formatted but what do you do to a disc, if anything. They are new and unused branded discs.I have followed all the prompts. My OS is XP Home SP2. Any suggestions please. Meshuga.

rawprawn 18:59 14 Nov 04

Hi, try formatting the disc first, I have found that if you have a disc that won't accept copy if you format it, it will. Lookat proprties on the disc, if it is showing full it definately needs formatting

rawprawn 19:07 14 Nov 04

Just a question, why not backup to the Acronis Security zone. It is by far the safest method.?

Meshuga 19:10 14 Nov 04

Have already checked properties on the disc and that shows no used space. How do you format a CD. Many thanks, Meshuga.

Meshuga 19:13 14 Nov 04

how do you back up to security zone. I saw no mention of that function. Sorry to be vague on this but haven`t used it before.Meshuga.

woodchip 19:19 14 Nov 04

If you have a Different Partition, write the backup files to that, and then copy to CD

Meshuga 19:24 14 Nov 04

I do not have a seperate partition. Meshuga.

woodchip 19:29 14 Nov 04

Then try removing True Image from the Hard Drive, first from Add Remove then look for it in the search box and remove all. Then try a reload from CD

Meshuga 19:40 14 Nov 04

will do that tomorrow. Many thanks. Meshuga.

rawprawn 19:50 14 Nov 04

When you open acronis on the left hand side at the top under Tools there is an option "Manage Acronis Security Zone". Click on that and it will set the partition for you, all you have to do is choose the size you want, but it actually chooses for you the optimum one. follow instructions and create it. What it does is create an image in a partition that is unaffected by any crashes that may occur, and when you boot up you are given the opportunity to access it and completely restore your drive to exactly what it was before by pressing F11 and then choosing restore.You can also "unplug" it and access any files that are stored in there. It's brilliant and has saved my bacon more than once.

Meshuga 20:32 14 Nov 04

Many thanks for your help.Will have a go early next week when hopefully I`m feeling better. Regards, Meshuga.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…