Trust 56K modem nightmare,i need help!!!

Kitz E Kat 20:42 20 Aug 03

Hi, i did an upgrade on a Dell Optiplex Pentium Pro, 128MB 6GIG HD. A complete format and install of 98 SE.So far so good!!!

I then installed a 56K Trust V92 PCI modem, loaded the driver, setup the IE and took it for a test drive on the internet, no problem.

On reboot , and on every reboot the system detects the modem, like i only installed it and wants to load the driver's for it and asks for the intstall CD.

If i go with the flow and install the drivers again i end up with two modems listed in 'Modems'
Trust 56K Modem and Trust 56K #2 56 K modem.
If i go to connect i get 'cannot detect modem'

If i cancel the reinstall of the drivers i lose the modem, ie. its gone from the device manager.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem several times,same things happens again.

I took out the modem and moved to another PCI slot , no difference.

I am going mad, no messing, really i am.
I need help, the modem did work in another box OK, don't think that is the problem.

Help!!! Thanks
Kitz E Kat

Kitz E Kat 21:29 20 Aug 03

Think i sorted it!!!
I think it was the 'Intrusion detction' on the DEll , i had opened the case to install the Modem, every time i booted after that i got a notice on the screen that the case had been opened,, WOW. i know i opened the thing!!!!

Anyway i got a flash of insperation and went into the BIOS and disabled the stupid thing and reloaded the modem, AGAIN, and rebooted several times and no problem, YET!!!!!!!!!!!

Am i girht in my thinking about the stupid intrusion detection, screwing up the installation??

Thanks
Kitz E Kat

woodchip 21:43 20 Aug 03

I have the same problem hear is how to overcome it. Go to modem in Control Panel after you have got two modems showing, remove both modems, restart computer with modem switched on and it will ask for drivers or it will find them already on the drive and setup the modem it should not then try to reload the modem again, unless you go to add new hardware wizard

Kitz E Kat 16:29 23 Aug 03

D'oh, having disabled the intrusion detection, i had thought all my problems had gone away!!
I rebooted several times , no problem, gave the computer back to my friend, you guessed, first thing it wanted when it was turned on was the install disk for the driver.

Im stumped, help!!!

Tried Woodships advice no joy

Thanks
Kitz E Kat :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…