TrueVector Internet Monitor won't shut down

Red Devil 15:17 20 Sep 07

Hi all,

I downloaded and wanted to install the latest update to Zone Alarm today but hit a problem when my PC crashed part way through the install.

Now, whenever I try and install it, I get an error telling me that the TrueVector Internet Monitor service can't be shut down and needs to be shut down manually to allow the upgrade to take place.

The trouble is is that I can't stop the service. When I go into Administrative Tasks on Control Panel, the options to start and stop the service are greyed out for this service.

Restarting the PC has no effect. Neither does doing a System Restore to the point before I started the upgrade of Zone Alarm.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of how I can sort this problem out?

Cheers.

Technotiger 15:29 20 Sep 07

True Vector runs as a "Service" in XP. it is under an instance of Svchost. The process is vsmon. Start>Run> type services.msc Find True Vector Internet Monitor, right click, and choose "Disable from the small drop down menu box. Then click the "Stop" button to the left. If an error message appears, simply reboot. It will not start and un-re-installation should be allowed.

Red Devil 15:42 20 Sep 07

Cheers for the advice but I've already tried it. The "Stop" button is greyed out so I can't stop the "Service".

Red Devil 17:45 20 Sep 07

Tried your 2 suggestions but neither have helped.

TrueVector isn't running as a process and Zone Alarm has completely disappeared!

I can't start it to set it to not run at Startup.

Hopefully, though, this will resolve the situation. After all, if Zone Alarm isn't present then it SHOULDN'T start up and I can then do what I need to do to get Zone Alarm re-installed.

Strangely, though, Windows isn't reporting the lack of a presence of a firewall even though I'd expect it to.

Red Devil 21:15 20 Sep 07

All sorted out now. Seeing as how Zone Alarm had disappeared, I restarted and tried to do a clean install with the latest version that caused all the problems and it installed first time without a hitch and my firewall is now working as it should.

Thanks all.

Technotiger 21:36 20 Sep 07

Alls well that ends well ... Grreat, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…