true or false

My dad asked me a question it was
If you have a 80gig hard drive 7200rpm and 8mb cache would that be faster than a 500gig hard drive 7200rpm and 8mb cache

He said that the head would not have to seek as long one a smaller hard drive

I dont think it is right what do you think

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:18 26 Jul 07

It depends on how the files are stored and in what sections and the state of fragmentation but like the number of angels that can fit on the head of a pin, you would never notice the difference in real life.

G

Earthsea 18:56 26 Jul 07

In my experience the cache size is what makes the real difference. Rpm and size don't seem to matter all that much.

Earthsea 19:01 26 Jul 07

But as GANDALF <|:-)> says, you can't really tell with normal usage and have to run diagnostic software to find out.

I am thinking of getting a western d raptor 36gig 1000rpm 8 mb cache i think this is the fastes drive avalibale

Forum Editor 19:31 26 Jul 07

you need to bear in mind that unless you have special benchmarking software and timing equipment you'll hardly notice the difference between one drive and another.

As has already been pointed out, a lot depends on the way your files are stored on the drive, and I really don't think it's worth getting too excited about the drive-speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009