True Image and partition formats?

Simsy 13:36 22 Apr 07

Folks,

Hypothetical question...

I know that it's relatively straightforward to convert a partition from FAT32 to NTFS... and also that it'd difficult to convert the other way...

Given those facts, what happens next;
1)An image is made of a partition that is currrently FAT 32.
2)That partition is converted, (sucessfully), to NTFS.
3)Restoration is attempted using the FAT32 image.

Will it work? I assume it will, but it will be restore to a FAT32 partition... or will it not work at all?

Note this isn't a problem, but genuine curiousity.

Similar to this, my mate's ASUS laptop has a recovery partition, that is FAT32, and it is used to restore the C partition, which is FAT32... if the C is cahnged to NTFS does it mean the recovery partion wont work, or will it work but restore the C to FAT 32?

Again, hypothetical. I'm just trying to forsee events that I hope never arrive!!

Regards,

Simsy

Pamy 14:54 22 Apr 07

An image is an image of what was there at the time the image was taken so it will be as imaged

mosfet 18:33 22 Apr 07

I do know the first thing TI does (on a restore) is to wipe out the target partition so it is unalotted space.

Strawballs 19:17 22 Apr 07

Why not just do another backup after coverting?

PaulB2005 19:47 22 Apr 07

"Similar to this, my mate's ASUS laptop has a recovery partition, that is FAT32, and it is used to restore the C partition, which is FAT32... if the C is cahnged to NTFS does it mean the recovery partion wont work, or will it work but restore the C to FAT 32?"

The recovery partition will work. The recovery partition is left as FAT32 so it can be accessed by any boot disk required by the recovery process.

As for the original question yes the recovery will work. Even if the drive was new and had never been formatted or was formatted with an Alien File System it would work.

Simsy 20:36 22 Apr 07

Yes I get that, but I was wondering if it COULD restore a FAT32 image to an NTFS partition...

I think the answer from Les2 answers that; It will restore and be FAT32.

Strawballs, Yes, that's what I'd do. I was just curious as to the background of what's going on.

Thanks all.

PaulB2005, When the recovery partition is used, will it restore the C to a FAT32 condition, assuming he partition had been changed to NTFS before the restoration? I assume the answer is that it will restore to a FAT32 condition.

Regards,

Simsy

PaulB2005 07:55 23 Apr 07

Yes it'll restore to a FAT32 partition.

Simsy 08:35 23 Apr 07

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…