True appreciation of the value of help forums

compumac 18:24 18 Nov 08

I now spend a lot of time perusing different forums and thereby learn quite a lot. It is also very gratifying when you are able to give some input and it works for the person with the problem.

Over twenty years ago I had to carry out some very complicated mathematical calculations in my job. I attempted to do this as a paper exercise and I realised that by the time I reached any conclusion, that the earliest input data would be out of date and therefore calculations would be totally useless upon completion. A colleague who had an extremely limited knowledge of Lotus 123 introduced me to computers. - I had to figure out what to do and how to do it completely alone and having no knowledge of spreadsheets or computers whatsoever. It took me six weeks of struggling to compose a spreadsheet that was fully functional and was subsequently used for some few years afterwards.

How different it is now. You have a problem, post it to the internet and you receive advice within, perhaps, minutes. Wonderful!!!

chub_tor 18:37 18 Nov 08

I'm glad that you used the word "advice" - you will get a lot of that on this forum. It's not always good advice but we all try our best and we all learn from each other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…