Trovi browser hijacker

Dragonfly2 10:20 15 May 14

Has anyone any advice about getting rid of Trovi?

We'd never heard of it until late last night. On turning on our computer, Trovi is now set as our default search engine, and we can't get rid of it. We've tried resetting our home page and default search engine back to Google but this has no effect - it just stays with Trovi.

It's the same with Chrome, Firefox and IE11. We use Windows 8.1.

The only advice we've found on the internet is via websites and software that we've never heard of, and so are very reluctant to use. We understand that it concerns adware rather than being a virus, although are currently running a scan.

There has been a massive upload this morning - not sure what that was.

Any advice will be very welcome please!

Dragonfly2 10:39 15 May 14

Hi, many thanks. Actually, the website you suggest is one of those that we were wary of using. But will now have a better look at it.

For now it would be useful to know if Trovit is harmful or just a nuisance?

All advice welcome please - thank you.

Dragonfly2 12:11 15 May 14

Latest on TROVI:

On the advice of our local computer man, we did a system restore - going back just over 24 hours, which was definitely before we had the problem. That has worked for Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox, but not Chrome.

Current plan later today is to uninstall Chrome and reinstall it.

Comments and advice all still very welcome.

Dragonfly2 20:33 15 May 14

TROVI UPDATE

Further to my last post, we didn't uninstall Chrome. But this time we managed to reset the home page and default search engine for Chrome back to Google, and it's fine.

We're not sure if we've completely got rid of it, but it's currently not active. We plan to monitor it over the next few days.

misscupcake 08:36 06 Jun 14

Yes, it's a browser hijacker but it's not actually malicious except that it changes default home page and search engine. Here's how to fix that: 1">[click here, it would be still a good idea to scan your computer with anti-malware software or at least MSE or adwcleaner because Trovi usually comes bundled with other programs including adware and PUPs.

2">[click here

However Cheers!

misscupcake 08:39 06 Jun 14

Yes, it's a browser hijacker but it's not actually malicious except that it changes default home page and search engine. Here's how to fix that: click here, it would be still a good idea to scan your computer with anti-malware software or at least MSE or adwcleaner because Trovi usually comes bundled with other programs including adware and PUPs.

Cheers!

Edited: sorry, bad formatting, not sure why.

However

Pine Man 10:04 06 Jun 14

I had this and a site I visited advised using Malwarebytes, ADW, Junkware Removal tool and HitMan Pro in that order.

I used them all and none were harmful.

Now no trace of Trovi or Search Protect.

All clear:-))

For info I think I downloaded Trovi with FreeOCR. FreeOCR is a good free OCR program but be aware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant