Troubleshooting a slow network

PaulB2005 21:52 14 Mar 08

2 PC Wired Network
Buffalo AirStation G54 Wireless Router
2 x Windows XP PC - One "Main" PC and one "Backup" PC.

Both running NOD32 v3 Anti Virus.

The above has been set up for a few years now and i run a regular backup (15Gb) of data from the main PC to the Backup PC. I use EzBackitup (click here) to run the backup so only changed and new files are copied over. Usually it only takes a few minutes to run. Over night this changed so it take a lot longer.

The software compares the source and target folders and then copies the files needed. In the past it raced through the compare and then took the relevant time to do the copy. Now the compare takes ages and seems to stop and start. Task Manager only shows ~4% Network Utilization.

Where do i start trying to troubleshoot this?

Tech Guy 06:32 15 Mar 08

If the second PC is only used for backup and never gets used, I would suggest either an external backup drive or connect a couple of raid drives in main pc and have them set to mirror, thus free your network up

Try a new full backup - is it slow then? As it could be the comparing that is taking ages, just a thought.

PaulB2005 08:40 15 Mar 08

The PC is regularly used when the main PC is in use by others.

Besides i already have an external backup that's locked in a secure location and is run once a month. This backup is run every few days. Oh and i have second hard drive in the main PC which i backup to daily.

A bit over the top maybe but i was victim to a virus twice (on the second attack i realised where it came from) in the past that renamed ALL the files on my PC to random names. I've also been the victim of burglary and lost data that way too.

New full backup - I considered that, but now you've mentioned it....

PaulB2005 14:03 15 Mar 08

Deleted the target folders and the Backup "Job". Re-made the "Job" and same glacial slowness compared to before.

All disk fully scanned and defragged.

setecio 15:33 15 Mar 08

You can only be 100% sure a virus is removed by reformatting the drive and re-installing windows. Otherwise there is always a chance that something gets left behind which resurfaces in the future.

Tech Guy 18:03 15 Mar 08

Is the internet slow or is it just the link between the computers?

Can you remember if you installed something or done something to the computer before the over night slowdown. As it is mostly the last thing you installed/did that fluffed the job up.

Check the ethernet cable is not crushed or kinked.

Also try uninstalling/reinstalling the backup software.

Check all network settings

PaulB2005 19:56 16 Mar 08

setecio = Wrong thread????

---
Tech Guy

Internet is fine. File transfers seem to be affected too.

I've checked the cable and it seems fine.

I did chnage some settings in the AV recently though..... Going to reset that and see what happens.

setecio 20:07 16 Mar 08

PaulB2005

You wrote "A bit over the top maybe but i was victim to a virus twice (on the second attack i realised where it came from) in the past that renamed ALL the files on my PC to random names."

I was pointing this out in case one of them is same machine that was infected.

PaulB2005 01:11 13 Apr 08

"I was pointing this out in case one of them is same machine that was infected."

Sorry no. What i didn't say is that that was 4 years ago and a totally different PC - Windows 98SE too. Secondly the PC had the hard drive formatted and Windows reinstalled after the file renaming as it obviously refused to work any more....

PaulB2005 19:36 31 Oct 08

Well turns out target drive was faulty. No tests seem to show it but swapped it out today and fast backups are here again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…