Alipeg 22:25 29 Feb 04

When I close my PC (700MHz 128 MB RAM)it either gets stuck on "Windows is closing down" or goes to a message "Locate free PCI Resource for Creative Audio Card - Click any key to continue" clicking any key does close it down. I have tried to follow advice on this forum for troubleshooting shut down. First I find the Help pages on Windows are blank after the first page so I have to use the Web ones. Second when I click the VGA 640x480x16 in MSCONFIG Advanced which makes everything bigger and changes colour of backgrounds etc., it works first time, I change sound and it doesn't work, then it doesn't work on its own. I change it back but nothing changes - still big/colour change. HELP! and I'm only on 2nd step of troubleshooting!!

VoG II 22:30 29 Feb 04
  Alipeg 21:59 01 Mar 04

Thanks but that's the page I've been following to troubleshoot. But how do I get back the Help pages and return screen to its original state?!

Sir Radfordin 22:10 01 Mar 04

The only way I found to fix this computer (and it worked on 30+) was to do this:

Remove everything from the statup tab except for Systray and pointer.exe (if they exist) and anything that is to do with any AV/Firewall software you may have installed.

Reboot the machine and try again.

The problem seems to come from the hard drive spinning down before the computer has finished shutting down.

Richard Jude-331895 22:14 01 Mar 04

This might help.

Try to 'Re-start' the PC instead of shutting it down. I know you'll have to hold the power button for a few seconds as it tries to re-boot. To make sure that when I do this I don't do any damage to the files on my hard disk I have set a BIOS password so that the PC stops & waits for me to enter the password. Instead of entering the password I switch it off. It works almost every time & I tried it on various PCs running Win98.

I know it's not the perfect solution but it's an alternative way. Good Luck!!!!

AudioVic' 23:45 01 Mar 04

There is a downloadable MS update that fixes WIN 98 shutdown problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…