Troubleshooting Outlook Express

woodchip 19:01 17 Nov 06

There as been a few threads of late on the above, This may help.

Did you know that you can access your email account from Start > Run or Command Prompt? When you are having problems sending or receiving email in Outlook Express, the following will determine if the fault is with your ISP, or on your PC:

1. In Outlook Express, click Tools > Accounts.
2. Select your default mail account.
3. Click Properties > Servers.
4. Make a note of your Incoming mail (POP3) server. For example, if your ISP is BT Yahoo! your server will be: mail.btinternet.com.
5. Click Cancel > Close.
6. Close Outlook Express.
7. Click Start > Run.
8. Type: telnet 110
For example, if your ISP is BT Yahoo! you should type:
telnet mail.btinternet.com 110
9. When the mail server responds with a line of text, type: USER
10. Press [Enter].
11. When prompted, type: PASS
12. Press [Enter]. If all is well, you should now see a message such as: [OK maildrop ready].
13. Type: QUIT and press [Enter] to exit the program.

If this works, then your email account is working fine and your problem is with Outlook Express. You may find that having accessed the email server from another client will have ‘unlocked’ your account. Start Outlook Express and try to access your email. Sometimes restarting your PC will clear an email fault by resetting your TCP/IP stack (that’s the bit that connects to the Internet!).

Important: if you don’t close the Telnet session, you will not be able to access your email account using Outlook Express (the mail server will not allow simultaneous connections to your account).

Also…if you experience problems Telneting into your email account, it might be that you are behind a firewall with port 110 blocked.

-------------------
Reading your POP3 Email Using Telnet

You can read your email messages without Outlook Express! Yup…it’s true. You can use the program Telnet that comes with Windows to access your email account from Start > Run or Command Prompt. As in the previous tip, you will need to know your email account username, password and incoming mail (POP3) server (in Outlook Express click Tools > Accounts > select your default mail account > Properties > Servers).

Here’s how to do it:

1. Close Outlook Express if it is open (to stop account access clashes).
2. Click Start > Run.
3. Type: telnet 110
4. When the mail server responds with a line of text, type: USER
5. Press [Enter].
6. When prompted, type: PASS
7. Press [Enter]. If all is well, you should now see a message such as: [OK maildrop ready].
8. Type: LIST and Press [Enter]. This will list any incoming emails.
9. Type: RETR and press [Enter]. This will display the email. If will also display the email header information and any HTML formatting. You will need to read through this to find the actual body of the email. Repeat for other listed emails, if required.
10. Type: QUIT and press [Enter] to exit the program.

vinnyT 11:23 18 Nov 06

<BUMP>

woodchip 13:54 18 Nov 06

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

grizzley 16:37 21 Jan 07

above info failed any more advice i got as far as user- enter pass failed.

DGHYPC 17:24 14 Mar 07

I have accidently deleted a "Deleted Items" dbx.
I can see the file in the Outlook Express folder in the Hidden Files folder so I know it's there.

I have tried importing the file into Microsoft Outlook, however when I try to import back into Outlook Express. The message "cannot Import because this file is being used by Outlook Express"
Has anybnody any ideas how to get round this problem ??

muddypaws 20:38 14 Mar 07

Noted.

Watchful 20:44 14 Mar 07

Have a look here:
click here
It is possible in some circumstances.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now