Troubles fitting a new AGP card.

fourjays 01:44 17 Feb 05

My friend in the USA, has a Compaq Presario 5310US. After many months of hard work, he finally got detailed information from Hewlett Packard on its specs, and it wanting to upgrade his PC, by adding an AGP card. He now has an AGP card. An ATI Raedon 9200 SE to be precise. Now here comes the problem. He has a rather odd AGP slot. The sticker on the board is poiting to it, saying it is the AGP slot. Here is a picture of his mobo, we found on the net, after many hours trawling: click here

Is that slot going to take the card in someway, or isn't it AGP, or is it a really old type of AGP, or what? How can he get an AGP card in there?
Thanks all.

georgemac © 07:34 17 Feb 05

the agp slot is the brown one on the left of the 3 white pci slots - looks pretty normal to me

phono 08:40 17 Feb 05

Georgemac is correct, the brown one is the AGP slot, there are, however, different versions of AGP which provide different voltages, 1.5 v and 3 v, from memory, if you use the wrong card in the wrong slot you risk damaging the video card, motherboard, or both.

Make sure he gets the correct version for the mobo concerned.

georgemac © 09:03 17 Feb 05

click here get him to download and install everest home edition and run it to see what his agp settings are now - this may help

Yoda Knight 09:22 17 Feb 05

I was always under the impression that the slots were designed so that they were backwards compitible. IE, u can plug older cards in newer slots, but not newer cards in older slots

dan11 09:30 17 Feb 05

If you zoom in to the motherboard image you supplied. It looks as if it is a 1x-2x agp slot.
click here

Agp slots come in ( 1x -2x ) or ( 4x - 8x) or universal. click here

A 8X agp card will not fit into a 1x - 2x board because of the different voltages. As phono says if it did fit in you could do a lot of damage.

This will probably explain it more. see fig 13.3
click here

Chezdez 09:32 17 Feb 05

all AGP cards will fit into the same slot, but it comes down to whether the motherboard can handle a powerful card, such as how you have to make sure that your motherboard will support the processor you want (except you don't have to worry about having the correct number of pins on a graphic card :P)

the point made above is to do with voltage levels, and is very important. like phono said, if the motherboard is supplying 3V to a 1.5V card, then it is very likely that you will very quickly (almost instantly) destroy your new card, and possibly your motherboard

dan11 09:53 17 Feb 05

"all AGP cards will fit into the same slot"

If you mean a 8x card will fit into a 1x -2x slot, then I think you are slightly mistaken.

When they brought out the 4x standard of graphics cards, they made them longer than the 1x - 2x standard. This was for 2 reasons.

1) so it was physically impossible to insert in an old 1x - 2x motherboard. So it would not blow the card.

2) The usual method of making everyone need to change their motherboard to get the faster standard.

The only exception, I know of, is the duel voltage universal agp motherboards.

Yoda Knight 09:54 17 Feb 05

As fourjays said "A 8X agp card will not fit into a 1x - 2x board because of the different voltages" - So u shouldnt be able to plug in a AGP card that ur motherboard cant support.
However, I'm pretty sure u can plug a 1x/2x card into a 8x slot, due to the split in the actaul slot (the larger card is longer)

fourjays 12:48 17 Feb 05

So the problem is that it is a 1x/2x slot, and the card is a 4x/8x. So they won't fit? I discocvered it didn't look right, when I was troubleshooting why he couldn't get it to fit in. It seems obvious now that the card is too new for the motherboard.

The reason I asked is that I have never seen an AGP slot hat shape before.

So what is the best advice to give him?

fourjays 12:48 17 Feb 05

I got him to register on these forums a while back, so Ill get him to read the thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…