Trouble when booting up

knobler 13:05 07 Apr 05

I have an Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D laptop running on a pentium 4 with windows XP.

I've been having trouble recently when trying to boot it up. You turn it on and get the normal lights for a few seconds and it then just turns off. I've tried moving the adapter wire, thinking that it could be a loose connection as it sometimes starts after doing this. However, sometimes after it's started and been running for a while it just turns off. I have the same problem, if not worse though, when trying to start it with the battery.

The only thing that I notice is that it makes a click noise when it turns off. Sorry this is a bit vague, but I'm one of the novices who floats around the site trying to glen info. etc. This one has me completley stummped.

Thanks

matt1234 13:27 07 Apr 05

the click noisy is probaly a relay turning off this should make this click when it turns on and off, this is perfectly normal most pc's/laptops have them.

About the pc turning off im right in saying this laptop has an in built battery so that wouldnt be a problem. But if the powerpack is faulty and it hasnt be charging the battery it may turn off straight away when the powerpack fails. Try a different powerpack!

About the machine shuting down on its own, this maybe a cooling problem, how hot is the machine when it does a shut down?

And make sure the power saving setting in windows are set properly.

matt

Yoda Knight 13:50 07 Apr 05

Sounds like a possible harddrive problem :(

woodchip 15:56 07 Apr 05

This is what you could try Start in Safe Mode by keep pressing F8 as it boots then go to Start/Run/Startup tab and remove all the ticks in boxes then try the computer.Put back tick's one at a time and retry comp. Do not go on the Internet without Firewall or Anti-Virus running. It may also be a over heating problem as you are running a P4 so if the CPU fan is clogged up with dust this would shut the CPU down you could try a Hair drier on cold Blow and stick it near the vents to clear dust

knobler 22:11 11 Apr 05

Thank everyone.

1. Established the power pack is okay

2. Battery has a full charge, but won't boot it up on it's own.

3. Tried using the hairdryer to clear any dust bit to no avail.

4. I left the computer off for a whole day before trying to boot it up in case it was hot again to no avail.

Any further ideas or am I going to have to take it in for a tech'y to look at?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:18 11 Apr 05

Remove battery and try to boot with just power daapter plugged in.

Bad battery will drag down mains supply and as fan loads come on voltage dopstoo low for laptop to start.

knobler 22:28 11 Apr 05

GULP - how do I find the battery and remove it?!

Sorry to sound dumb!

knobler 22:37 11 Apr 05

Ah -removed battery and tried booting up with just the power pack, but it's dead as door nail!

LastChip 22:45 11 Apr 05

Has it got a floppy drive?

knobler 22:45 11 Apr 05

No - just CD/DVD :>((

LastChip 22:51 11 Apr 05

Do you have a Windows or Recovery CD?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…