trouble uploading a website

wimboess 17:34 23 Apr 05

Hi
I hope someone can help me please! I have created a website using Serif WebPlus6 and am trying to upload using WS_FTP95. I have bought a domain name and registered it with velnet.co.uk. When I try to connect using WS_FTP I get error message 'can't get click here host entry, connection failed click here.
Can anyone give me a hint please?
Thanks Lyn

QuickHare 17:41 23 Apr 05

The address does not exist. You must connect through your original host's FTP name (like ftp:// ftp. yourhost. com ). Your purchased domain name is used for people looking at your site, but you have to buy an FTP domain name for connection via that name.

Easiest thing to do is email your host.

wimboess 17:49 23 Apr 05

Hello QuickHare
Thanks for your reply. When we registered with velnet, they gave us details for ftp access listing ftp server as click here, and giving us a user name and password. we have paid for the webspace plus domain name.
we've emailed host but are still waiting for a reply after several hours. Thought this way may be quicker!
Thanks anyway....

QuickHare 17:55 23 Apr 05

Ah. A thought just crossed my mind. Your domain name will be stored on a DNS (Domain Name Server) so people can look ip up. It may take up to 48hrs or longer to register on all of them. It has to filter it's way through the internet.

Forum Editor 17:56 23 Apr 05

at Nominet four days ago, and its status is shown as "Registration request being processed".

That probably accounts for the fact that it doesn't resolve to your host's name-server yet, and is why you're getting the error message. I should give it a couple of days and try again - or you might like to contact your web hosts and find out if they have any news.

powerless 18:06 23 Apr 05

I can see your site wimboess:

*Kate Wimbush is a jeweller, based in the Midlands, working in resin and silver to create quirky and colourful brooches on a miniature scale.*

That's it right?

wimboess 19:01 23 Apr 05

Thankyou all! there was a problem on the DNS but it's solved.
Dare I ask what you think, powerless?

QuickHare 21:08 25 Apr 05

Something like that last ickle question would be better in the Web Design forum, where a whole host of folk can review your site and give you tips and thoughts on the layout and how it is written, to help you improve it (I haven't seen the site yet! It may not need improving!).

VoG II 21:12 25 Apr 05

Well, I like it.

Mr P. is a master of the crisp, no clutter but very informative and accurate website click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…