Trouble Upgrading to Windows 7

lothlann 10:28 02 Nov 09

Im trying to upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista but I cant get past checking the compatibility stage. It says that I need to uninstall Avira Antivir but I already have. Both Windows search and program manager says that Antivir isnt installed anymore.

Any ideas on how I can progress? I cant get past that stage.

Thanks for any advice.

ArrGee 10:40 02 Nov 09

Try uninstalling using Revo Uninstaller (click here)

It's free, and using the 'advanced' uninstall process, it will dig deep into your registry to any entries made by Antivir.

From there, you can safely delete the entries, but mae sure you only delete the enries in bold.

ArrGee 10:41 02 Nov 09

Oh, you may have to reinstall Antivir first and then use Revo to uninstall

lothlann 10:43 02 Nov 09

Thanks il give it a go tonight as I need my laptop for uni at the mo. Il try the upgrade again tonight.

Il let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the quick reply, I always find this website so useful.

lothlann 23:37 08 Nov 09

Just an update to say I managed to get it work ok.

One minor issue is before i upgraded I upgraded a partition in order to try 7 and had 7 and vista running together. When i decided to fully upgrade I deleted that partition and upgraded Vista.

However when i startup I now get th eoption of choosing 1 of 2 Windows 7 systems, the 2nd will not load (because I deleted the partition).

Any idea how to remove this?

Thanks

mimosa418 13:05 09 Nov 09

Are you booting from the windows 7 disc? I had a similar problem with Avast Anti Virus, but found if I booted from the Windows 7 disc then folllowed instructions to upgrade which meant rebooting into Vista then everything worked. I think it is something to do with the downloaded windows files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…