trouble with tables ...

powertool 21:08 22 Sep 03

I look after my brother's site and have been trying to put a horizontal line under a table. Sounds simple.

It should be easy, but I can't stop the line from going alongside the table instead of below.

I have tried putting p>, br> and div> after the /TABLE> tag but it still goes beside it. I find that if I put lots of   p>s down I can bump the HR down so that it goes underneath the table, but it is bugging me that I can't just get it to go there through p>!!

Could some kind soul have a look at the code and tell me what I am doing wrong?!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

the link is ...click here
Powertool

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:12 22 Sep 03

TR> for a new row?

bowman 23:12 22 Sep 03

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=3 width=500 border=0>

Removing the align="left" may do the job.

Hope this helps.

slowhand_1000 23:26 22 Sep 03

Select all the tables then cut.
At the beginning of the HR insert a line break.
Then insert a new table 500 wide, 1 row, then paste your original table back in and hey presto.

slowhand

ps. I have just copied your code and tried it and it works ok this end.

slowhand_1000 23:30 22 Sep 03

It may not be the done thing to do, I'm sure someone will shout if not :-) But it seemed the easiest way without re-doing the tables.

Taran 03:16 23 Sep 03

You have syntax errors and some unusual code going on in there.

You have a closing </b> tag in the ACS1 cell of your table, with no opening <b> tag and there are also contradictory font formatting instructions in the same cell. In fact, every cell that contains text has either contradictory or unnecessary font formatting tags and while most of them are harmless, all of them are not required.

The left align table instruction is the cause of your problems as far as the horizontal rule goes. Leaving the left aligned tag out of the table properties will still left align it, since without an alignment instruction a table will always try and display in a default alignment which, you will be pleased to know, is left.

An example of pointless code is in the cell that contains the following text:

3. or choose 'printer-friendly'

After the text (which is correctly wrapped in its formatting instructions) you then have an opening font tag with the font face and size, followed by another font tag with its colour, followed by two closing font tags in a row, like this:

font face="Century Gothic" size="2">

font color="powderblue">

/font> /font>

Note that I've missed off the beginning < of each tag, in case the code gets mangled on this page.

This may not throw up any errors (although some of the tags in other cells will cause problems) but it's untidy and unnecessary code.

Here is a link to your page, slightly tidied up: click here

I've formatted the horizontal rule to be the same width as the table and given it a left alignment instruction to folow the look of the table above it.

You could fine the code down still further if you wanted, but this is where we go from what is necessary to do for a given result, to what is purist, geeky/nerdy and not absolutely necessary to achieve the end result.

Simply trying to add table rows does not work as expected in a table of this type. Unusual table cell arrangments often throw up their own kind of headaches and this is one of them.

Just save the page at the above link or copy and paste the source into your own document.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Taran

powertool 20:46 23 Sep 03

Thanks so much for your help - I really appreciate it - esp. Taran for going to so much trouble. It is things like this that make me realise how fantastically helpful people can be.

Best wishes

powertool

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…