Trouble Starting PC (Windows 98)

I,Me and Myself 11:35 31 Oct 04

When we switch our PC on we get a black screen which says the following:

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.

The windows registry or SYSTEM,INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup programme.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file.

CDAINT.2FVXD
press a key to continue

Can anyone please help us stop this screen appearing every time we switch on?

Diodorus Siculus 11:58 31 Oct 04

Start

run

msconfig

and under the startup tab, see what is there relating to the file - could be something to do with graphics.

Have you tried a registry cleaner? click here for a good one.

Diodorus Siculus 11:58 31 Oct 04

Start

run

msconfig

and under the startup tab, see what is there relating to the file - could be something to do with graphics.

Have you tried a registry cleaner? click here for a good one.

I,Me and Myself 14:36 02 Nov 04

Tried both of the above. Nothing in the startup tab and tried a registry cleaner but black screen still appears at beginning.

Diemmess 15:13 02 Nov 04

It is just possible that this file is still listed in Win.ini or System.ini .............. I had a similar bother yonks ago having incompletely uninstalled "Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time" - very appropriate perhaps!

Try the msconfig route, and this time pick the win.ini tab. Scroll down the list for a match and either delete it on the spot, or insert ; and one space at the beginning of that line

sattman 16:05 02 Nov 04

From the descrption I would think that the problem file is a system driver file, that is either corupt or missing, have you recently deleted any programme ?

One possible solution which will not loose anything is to reinsall windows on top of itself.

I,Me and Myself 16:08 01 May 06

We have just given my parents a PC and it has been repaired. When we got it back from repair my hubby interfered and we now get the black scrren with the above message on it.

I haven't tried any of the advice as when it originally happened we tried some of the advice and knacked it all up. I don;t want to do the same again and so would like to know what to do without the possibility of breaking their PC.

Diemmess 18:14 01 May 06

If this message merely interrupts and continues to boot after pressing enter then (from my memory) I would run msconfig again.

If you can then select the system.ini tab which from my memory (in W98)is primarily a list in DOS and scroll down looking for the device which is causing all this.

If you do find an obvious connection edit the particular line.
At the beginning of the line insert either...

rem and one space or.....
a semi-colon and one space.

Save what you have done and reboot.
When Windows comes to this line it will ignore it because of the editing.
In the event that you have chosen the wrong line to edit, you can always go back and remove your alterations.

This is a fairly safe way to try to end the problem.
If it makes no difference, you can easily put things back by deleting the insertion you made even if you have to go into safe mode to do it.

remind 18:17 01 May 06
  I,Me and Myself 20:11 01 May 06

Thanks. Will try that tomorrow.

I,Me and Myself 22:39 05 May 06

When we go into the system ini tab what are actually looking for? We don't have a clue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…