Trouble removing cookies

TonyV 16:42 30 Apr 10

I usually remove the cookies I know I don't want after a session but over the past couple of days I am unable to remove a goodly number of them. I've used the usual IE8 removal procedure and Superantispyware as well as CCleaner all to no avail.

Typical of the offending cookies are adjug.com, atdmt.com, zune.net, youtube.com. There are about 20 or so that steadfastly refuse to be deleted.

Any one any ideas? I have tried to remove them in "Safe Mode" as well!

Cheers

TonyV

mooly 17:48 30 Apr 10

Are you deleting them for all users ?

Try this using the built in inetcpl.cpl command. This allows you to manually delete cookies without having IE8 open.

click here

VoG II 18:31 30 Apr 10

And/or try CleanUp! click here

Click Options and select to delete cookies before running. Allow it to reboot when finished.

TonyV 18:37 30 Apr 10

Have already done that. It is the same as I usually use by going through Internet Options. It is having no effect.

VoG™
I will have a go with your link and see what happens. The effect is as though something has locked. I have also tried a restore from a week ago, and that had no effect either.

Thanks

TonyV

TonyV 18:56 30 Apr 10

That seems to have done the trick. But, before counting chickens, I'll give it a while before I tick this as complete.

Many thanks

TonyV

TonyV 12:10 01 May 10

The only side issue that has arisen is that I cannot remain signed in to the PCA site. I do the normal login and that used to be enough to keep me effectively logged in when I close down Now I have login every time!

Is there, perhaps, some setting on my machine that needs to be reinstated?

TonyV

Sea Urchin 13:58 01 May 10

I assume that you are now removing the cookie that lets you sign in to the PCA site.

TonyV 14:13 01 May 10

No. PCA is one I always leave on for the reason that it should recognise me when I go to the PCA site.

Cheers

TonyV

TonyV 14:24 01 May 10

Actually, I have just checked that out and I find it IS now deleting PCA cookies. Before I had this trouble, it was one that remained when I used the IE8 control to delete history and cookies etc. Now, for some reason, the setting has disappeared and PCA is being deleted. There are still a number of them that do not delete when I click on the delete button but will delete if I do it as a simple highlight and delete. So there is obviously something that is telling the machine which ones to keep and which ones to delete.

TonyV

mooly 18:07 01 May 10

Anything in your "favourites" tab on IE8 has the option not to have cookies deleted when using IE's own cleanup. Just check the tickbox "preserve favourites" I think it's called.
Is your security (IE) at the recommended levels and not set to high.

You seem to be having problems with this for some reason...

TonyV 18:40 01 May 10

I have the "preserve favourites" checked. I have played around with the various settings in the IE control panel, and have tried a couple of times when switching off completely to see whether the cookies I want remaining after a "mini" clean up still remain. So far, I seem to have got the setting right and the last two times they have remained. When I have finished this missive, I will go out of IE and try the clean up again and see what happens. If it stays as I want it I will tick as being completed.

I'll come back in a few minutes.

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…