trouble reinstalling windows 98 accessories

chip69 09:05 10 Oct 03

I tried to reinstall paint which could not be used because of errors, then found that all accessories had somehow been removed(somethin I did no doubt)). Windows 98 was pre-installed on my computer so when it asks for the disc I only have a restore pack. I have tried using this disc but the files to reinstall all the accessories cannot be found on it,how can I reinstall the accessories ie. paint, calculator, imaging, games clipart etc?

Diemmess 09:41 10 Oct 03

Presumably a long time since your computer was first brought to life, but -- you may be luck if you try what follows.

Is there a folder on your hard drive named W98? If there is then you have the missing files there even if they are not on your restore CD which they should be.

Go to control panel (add/remove programs)Click on Windows setup tab, then choose Accessories.

Click on the details tab and tick any blank boxes for the things you want like Paint.

Then either OK or "have disk" and browse for the W98 folder or the restore disk ...... and the best of luck!

chip69 10:44 10 Oct 03

Thanks but I have tried that but I get a message that the path cannot be found to these files???????? Do you think there is something wrong with my disc? would it be ok to borrow someones and try that?

Jester2K II 10:46 10 Oct 03

Under Win98 look for options folder and then another folder called Cabs. point it here if it exists.

if not do you have a options/cabs folder under c:\windows???

graham√ 12:08 10 Oct 03

It's tricky browsing for the files some times, you have to trick it!

When you select the item, do not click 'Have Disk', click 'Apply', without the CD. The message '... could not be found' will have a 'Browse' option, taking you to 'Open'.

Select the CD drive, put in the disk. When it spins up, scroll down to Win 98 and select it. Then OK 3 times.

woodchip 12:47 10 Oct 03

You can use some one else?s disc to do the job

chip69 12:19 11 Oct 03

managed to trick it eventually minus one file that i could not lead to. all working ok exept paint still, it is still not opening and has message invalid page fault in module MFC42.DLL at 0167:6c37f9eb, whatever that means????????

graham√ 13:56 11 Oct 03

Try this : Start, Run, type sfc, OK. Select one file from CD, type mfc42.dll, with the 98 CD in drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…