Trouble with my laptop dvd drive

gabby36 21:30 27 Nov 07

Hi my laptop dvd drive has packed up for good...However i need to reinstall xp as it is far too slow and crashes. Am i able to boot from a usb flash stick or other hard drive or if i buy an external dvd drive install xp from that.
Help please cheers!!

ArrGee 21:37 27 Nov 07

Yes, you can create a bootable flash, but the best step would be to run a disk clean-up, anti spyware, defragment, reg-cleaner first.

Run this to kick off with:

click here

skidzy 21:51 27 Nov 07

" Am i able to boot from a usb flash stick "

Only if your bios has the usb boot option,you will need to change the boot order.

Just maybe;

Have you checked to see if you have a hidden recovery partition ?

Tapping F10 or F11 on startup will determine if this is availble.
If you have previously installed xp yourself,its unlikely you have this partition.However if the os was preinstalled,you maybe lucky.

gabby36 22:54 27 Nov 07

There is no recovery on the hard drive. I have scanned the hard drive for spyware and defragged all the usual stuff but the laptop is still soooo slow.
I think a fresh install will sort it out, how do i install xp from a flash drive as i have tried this at the weekend by putting the usb as the first boot but i get a message on screen to remove all media and it wont boot. Only when i remove the flash drive it then boots up as normal.

skidzy 23:05 27 Nov 07

click here
click here

Its not going to be easy !!!

Have you thought of borrowing a xp disc and use your license key ?

gabby36 23:20 27 Nov 07

i have my own disk its just the dvd drive is not working, so cant install from disk. Would it be easier to buy an external drive, disable the onboard drive and use that instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac