Trouble loading SP 2 onto Mesh

rawprawn 15:57 21 Aug 04

I downloaded SP 2 (saved to disc) and loaded it onto my computer no problem. (I was running SP2 RC2 Beta)I copied it to a CD and tried to put it on my friends Mesh Matrix. I goes through all the motions correctly and when it reboots it has definately got SP2 loaded, but as it gets to destop it crashes with a blue screen which can't be read before it goes black. We have tried 3 times all with exactly the same result. My friend has emailed Mesh support but has had no reply whatsoever. Anybody with any ideas, or similar experience.

VoG II 16:48 21 Aug 04

click here may help you to recover it.

rawprawn 17:08 21 Aug 04

Thanks VoG™, Recovery is not a problem, Ive done that three times. What I really need to know is what is making it crash, and how to avoid it. When it reboots The "Egg timer" is blue as it should be and when it's loading it says SP2. So I am certain it's loaded. There is no problem or warning when actually loading SP2 from the disc, it goes through inspecting files, configuring etc as though there is no problem. Then when it gets to desktop, Crash.

VoG II 17:16 21 Aug 04

I would run msconfig and untick virtually everything on the startup tab then try loading SP2.

You might also want to try with all peripherals (printer, scanner etc.) removed.

Apologies if you have already tried these.

rawprawn 17:40 21 Aug 04

Thank you again, no I haven't tried your suggestions,but they certainly give me a new thought. He insists on having his Palm top connected all the time and it has caused problems in the past, perhaps this might be the problem. However if I start from scratch and then load SP2 it will be interesting to see what happens. It will be tomorrow at the earliest before I can have another try, please bear with me.

User-312386 17:59 21 Aug 04

have you unistalled the beta XPSP2?

rawprawn 08:08 22 Aug 04

No, my friends computer didn't have SP2 beta on it.It was a clean installation onto XPSP1. I had SP2 RC2 beta installed on my machine and then installed SP 2 with no problems at all, It runs like a dream.

Reevey11 12:19 22 Aug 04

Only reason i ask is cause i've got the same prob here. Once again Mesh machine, same prob, no peripherals connected.

rawprawn 13:01 22 Aug 04

Not yet, It will be Monday/Tuesday before I can get back to his computer. Did you untick most of the start programs in msconfig as well as disconnecting the peripherals ?

Gongoozler 13:11 22 Aug 04

Try, as VoG™ suggests, disabling all the Startup programs. If that doesn't help try, instead, disabling all Services. I have been trying to resolve a friends computer problem where XP will only boot correctly if the Service "Shell Hardware Detection" is disabled. I haven't found why, because all this appears to be used for is auto insert notification of CD's and external drives.

rawprawn 13:32 22 Aug 04

If disabling the start up programs doesn't work I will try disabling the services, but as I said it will be next week now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…