Trouble Installing Windows Xp for new computer

Justin 00:13 12 Jun 03

after recieving my parts yesterday, I started building my new computer, with the following parts:

ThermalTake Xaser III V1000A case
512mb DDR 400 pc3200 ram
Radeon 9800 pro 128mb gfx card
Athlon xp 2000 with coolmaster aero-7 fan
HyperPower 350w psu
MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR nForce2 motherboard
Maxtor 80gb HDD
Asus 52x24x52x cdrw
Panasonic 16x48 dvd-rom

after putting the parts together in the case, I then try to install windows XP. No matter I try using the quick format install or the standarn one it will freeze when copying files sometimes with error screens showing that one file cannot be copied, and sometimes with a blue error screen saying an error of IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_NOT_EQUAL or the exact same screen with a different error.

I've tried the windows XP disk and it's not faultly, so it seems that it's a hardware problem.

Thanks for the help in advance!

DieSse 00:27 12 Jun 03

http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810093 cut and paste the link, and take out the space after the //

This is the MS article which suggests the most likely cause is faulty RAM.

beeuuem 01:00 12 Jun 03

Have had a similar experience trying to reinstall XP, one file refusing to load and all the symptoms you describe. Removed an added stick of RAM and all loaded without a hitch.

The RAM was put back after the reinstall and the machine has run for 9 months without any related major problems.

Justin 01:04 12 Jun 03

any chance it'll be a PSU problem? it's not only that erroe message I'm getting, sometimes when copying files during installation it'll restart or gives me that error blue screen with a different message. I have consulted a few people on this and they all suspect it's a power supply problem, cos the case got 7 fans, on top with leds and a cpu fan.

Thanks for the help I'm just very desperate to get this sorted.

DieSse 01:25 12 Jun 03

Disconnect some of the surplus fans - you'll find out then!

beeuuem 01:28 12 Jun 03

The problem could be any number of things and it may be the PSU.
When I had my problem I called in on-site support, as it was free, and the first question asked was had I added any RAM. Added RAM removed, problem solved.
While I can't give you a 100% guarantee, with the symtoms you describe the balance of probability is that it is faulty RAM. Could you not beg, steal or borrow a stick to try it or test your RAM in another computer?

DieSse 01:46 12 Jun 03

Though I still think it's the RAM, more than likely.

Did you use 1st grade RAM, or generic?

Does the motherboard have approved RAM specified for it?

click here

Justin 06:21 12 Jun 03

I have changed the ram over and it seems that it don't make a difference at all. the thing is before it loads up the setup screen, it hangs on the command prompt with NTDLR missing, press ctrl+alt+del to restart, by doing so gives me no response.

Is it my PSU not having enough power to support all the 7 fans in the case and the radeon 9800 and the leds on the case? Or other factors are causing this? I have tried runnung without all the case fans plus the LEDs and I get the same thing over and over again.

I basically haven't slept in 2 days trying to sort this problem out and I have no success.

Thanks for all the replies! Hopefully one will eventually come up soon to sort this nightmare out for me!

beeuuem 13:24 12 Jun 03

From click here

Short for NT Loader, a program loaded from the hard drive boot sector that displays the Microsoft Windows NT startup menu and helps Windows NT load.

Often a user will see the message "NTLDR is Missing" after attempting to install Windows 2000 or Windows XP, or upgrade a Windows 95-based or Windows 98-based computer to Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The message appears after the first reboot. This occurs only if Windows 95 or 98 has been installed on a drive with the FAT32 file system.

To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette.

Justin 18:32 12 Jun 03

from 2 different forums I have found out two completely different solutions. I am going to try both and let all know the result.

In the click here forum, the guys are asking me to disconnect all my fans leds etc, and disable all unused devices for the computer, get an old cheap gfx card and install windows from there. so I'm on my way to find an old card.

Hope one of two works!!

powerless 19:04 12 Jun 03

Is that RAM one stick of 512?

Or do you have 2 sticks of 256?

Try one 256 and then if that does not work try the other (on their own)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…